Help... Actvating Vista on New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Aylen, May 11, 2007.

1. Aylen

Aylen

Hey all,

I bought Vista back in early Febuary and installed it onto my 8oGB hard drive which works. Now I bought a 320GB hard drive and install Vista again in the new hard drive and formatted my 80GB and using it as a secondary drive. I went to register online and it said it was completed. I restarted my computer and it still says I have 3 days before automatic activation. Any ideas on what is going on? (I do realize its a possiblity its their way to make sure no one is doing illegal installs and I assure you I am not)

Thanks for any help!
    Aylen

Aylen, May 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Aylen

Quiksilver

What happens whan you try and activate? Do you get any error messages?

Quiksilver, May 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Aylen

Aylen

No error messages. Just under the system information screen, it just says 3 days before automatic activation. Now when I first installed Vista and I went through the activation, I restarted my computer and it said Windows has been activated.

Aylen, May 11, 2007
  4. Aylen

Aylen

Just an update. I still haven't got it activated yet. I thought of running the Windows Genuine program to see if that was the problem, unfortunately, it wasn't. I'm still stuck at square one.

Aylen, May 11, 2007
  5. Aylen

Aylen

Okay I just finished going through the help files on windows Vista. It seems that of you make a considerable changes to your computers configuration (such as changing the hard drive), you have to re-activate windows by dialing into Microsoft's phone service. Glad to say after this 10 minutes of work, my system has been activated.

Thanks,
    Aylen

Aylen, May 11, 2007
  6. Aylen

VistaRocks

Wow that seems kind of odd. Not like Xp, lol. Thanks for sharing you fix with us :).

VistaRocks, May 12, 2007
  7. Aylen

Quiksilver

Stops people doing HDD transplants i suppose, from machines that have some form of recovery system.

At least your up and running now :)

Cheers for the fix-share mate.

Kev

Quiksilver, May 12, 2007
  8. Aylen

WAW8

Vista activation, or I should say re-activation, is a LOT more sensitive than was XP.

Reports on the MS Activation forum have their own support people saying that ANY changes to hardware are likely to force reactivation. So, migrating to a new HDD will definitely do it. Then, you have to do the call-MS thing to get your copy re-activated. For reasons that MS has never explained, the on-line reactivation NEVER works!

WAW8, May 14, 2007
  9. Aylen

Quiksilver

I got it to work once... the thing where you type the key in on the telephone keypad.

Other than that.. its off to Microsoft's call center in India to get it sorted. (or wherever it is).

Quiksilver, May 14, 2007
  10. Aylen

warlord

:w00t:I just changed my Monitor to a Samsung 22" Widescreen LCD, andVista is stating I must reactivate!!!:crazy: , Tried doing so online and It states my Key is already being used, Damn, now I must call, All this for a Monitor, Jeeezzzzz.....anyway just got off the phone and all is well...But I think we are getting a little anal on microsofts end.....:hehe:Would not be surprised if I add a new desktop chair at home that vista will then claim I need to renew due to a furniture change.....Got to love Microsoft.....

warlord, May 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question