Hardware Profiles gone - is there a workaround?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by tdhood, Apr 11, 2007.

1. tdhood

tdhood

First-time poster. Search of forums turned up no useful results. Be gentle.

I've recently taken the plunge & installed Vista Ultimate OEM on my laptop (Dell Latitude D820). Experience being the harsh mistress that she is, I performed an HDD-ectomy & did a clean install on a new HDD.

Things have rocked along fine until I brought the machine into the office & booted up in the docking station. My normal MO is to make use of the (pre-Vista) Hardware Profiles, disabling the wireless while docked & disabling the wired network adapter while undocked (except for the odd occasion when I'm out of WiFi range).

I didn't think too much of it for a day or so (new installations take a bit of time to stabilize for me), but found that when I disabled a network adapter in Device Manager in one configuration, it was disabled everywhere.

My questions are two:<UL><LI>Are hardware profiles gone - or are they just tucked away in some non-obvious location?</LI><LI>If they are gone, is there some other way to automatically &amp; selectively disable hardware?</LI>[/list]

If this functionality is gone, this is a deal-killer for me. I'll just consider myself $160 wiser.

tdh

tdhood, Apr 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. tdhood

Jason

Windows XP allows you to create multiple hardware profiles. When you start working in Vista, you may notice that this option is no longer available. It appears that Vista will automatically create hardware profiles depending on the type of computer you are using. For example, if you are using a laptop, Vista will automatically create a profile called “Undocked.”

You can still work with these hardware profiles as you could in Windows XP. For example, you can disable specific services for a specific hardware profile. This can be accomplished using the steps listed below.

1. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories then Administrative Tools.

2. Click the Services option.

3. Right click a service that you want to disable and click Properties.

4. Click the Log On tab.

5. The available hardware profiles will be listed at the bottom of the window.

6. Select the appropriate profile from the list and click the Disable button.

7. Click OK.

Now when Vista starts using the hardware profile, the specific service you selected above will not be started.

Jason, Apr 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question