harddrive gradually draining for no apparent reason

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by thealexangroup, Nov 26, 2008.

1. thealexangroup

thealexangroup

hi,

i use vista home deluxe edition. i have system restore off. i recently cleared my hd of approx 5 gig of data a month ago. in that month's time i've lost 3.8 gigs of space. where it went i don't know. i haven't loaded anything close to 100 mb in that month's time. my drive is nearly full, with only about 2 gigs space left.

what could be causing this drainage of space? adware, malware. i have McAfee installed.

any help would be appreciated.

dumbfounded,

alx

thealexangroup, Nov 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. thealexangroup

bassfisher6522

What are your system specs...ie, harddrive type and size, OS, and so on.

bassfisher6522, Nov 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. thealexangroup

bassfisher6522

There could be several reasons as to why your hard drive is loosing space. First comes to mind as you posted, spy-ware and ad-ware and the likes of that. More notably a Trojan or worm. Run all virus and ad-ware and Mal-ware, spy-ware and see if that helps. To start with use Ad-ware 2008, then run Spy-bot S&D, then run widows defender, then Ccleaner to clean up junk files. Spy-ware doctor is also good to have in conjunction with previously mentioned. You can get that by typing in google pack in searchbar. Its part of googels freebie stuff.The other programs mentioned are free as well.Then I would suggest a registry cleaner, Auslogics is a good one. This is to make sure drive isclean of all harmful apps and programs. check to see after a couple of days if your problem persists. If it does thenmy next suggestion would be a complete reinstallOS, reformatting hard drive. This will make your system like the day you took it out of the box. Brand newsort of speaking. If you do this make sure to save all data you want other wise you will loose every thing on hard drive.Then if your problem is still showing its ugly head then it's more likely a hard drive failure. Time for a new one and not that expensive. Good luck.

bassfisher6522, Nov 26, 2008
  4. thealexangroup

WAW8

Unless you regularly clean out your temporary internet files, all the web pages you've browsed in the last month are still on your PC. Also, whenever a Windows Update is done, it saves the existing version of every file it replaces in the winsxs folder. Finally, are you using webmail or are you saving your email locally? Once again, if saving locally, every email you opened in the last month is still on your PC unless you cleaned them out.

WAW8, Nov 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question