Hard Drice c: not accessible anymore but visible

Discussion in 'Security' started by tatankha, Mar 18, 2012.

1. tatankha

tatankha

Hello
    My hard drive C: is not accessible anymore. The access is denied and my admin account is gone! My admin account is now a guest account! I'm running Vista Ultimate 32bit SP2. The drice C: is visible but the capacity bar is gone. In the hard drive properties I don't have permission to access the security tab content and windows can't access the drive!! I have 2 external WD drives that I can access with no problem.
    Please Help!!!

Thanks a lot for your time !

Regards

Richard

tatankha, Mar 18, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. tatankha

WAW8

First thing I would try is to unhide the actual Admin account -- details below:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...idden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

If you can't do that, then try the following:
    -- Restart your PC and press F8 repeatedly before Windows loads to open Vista's Advanced Boot Options screen.
    -- Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and press Enter.
    -- On the low-res Windows Welcome screen, choose the Administrator account, which by default has no password.
    -- click Start > Control Panel > User Accounts and either change your guest account to an administrator one or create a new administrator account.

WAW8, Mar 19, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. tatankha

tatankha

Hello WAW8
    I tried the first method but first:
    I can't run the command prompt as an administrator (error: c:\Windows\system 32\cmd.exe the parameter is incorrect) With no admin privileges I opened command prompt but I could not execute "net User administrator /avtive:yes at level c:\ because I'm stuck at c:\Users. At this level running the command returns error access denied with 5 unspecified errors

I tried the second method: Safe Mode
    The options I have at the welcome screen are:
    - the guest account
    - other users

By clicking the other users I have to inter a user name and password. I tried administrator with no password (I just comfirmed that I never had a password anyway) and it failed ( error message:" your account has been disabled contact your administrator") but the option to reset my password appeared under the user name and password windows. I started the password reset wizard but realized that I needed a password reset DISK which I don't have. Is it the way I can reset the admin account? How to go around the password reset disk???

Thanks a lot again!
    Regards

Richard

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    tatankha, Mar 19, 2012
  4. tatankha

WAW8

Don't normally advise this, but if you Google for Trinity Rescue Kit, you will find a CD image that you can burn to a CD. That will allow you, among other things, to blank out the Administrator password. Once that is done, you then may be able to complete the steps to login to the Admin account -- since no password would be required then.

WAW8, Mar 20, 2012
  5. tatankha

tatankha

Do you really think it is the problem I have since I know no password is set neither for my admin account nor for my guest account? And still no way to sign in as Admin in the welcome screen...if it's the right place to do it as I did it and described it in my previous message...

tatankha, Mar 20, 2012
  6. tatankha

tatankha

Hello WAW8
    The trinity rescue kit worked! I chose to reset the Administrator password/account and windows restarted at obviously a much earlier restore point/state with full administrator control on my hard drive. I had time to see that the trinity boot CD reset the registry SAM value to 0 which I tried to do manually without success. It's done now and it's working. I lost a couple of files and settings but nothing serious at all.
    Thanks again for your time

Richard

tatankha, Mar 20, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question