Hard disk full

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by Will, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Will

Will

Hi everyone.

When I first got my laptop I partitioned the hard drive and allocated 30g for the system O.S. and approx 70g for data. Several years down the line and numerous windows updates later I now find the system partition is virtually full, so much so I've had to remove programs I can do without such as games, I.E 9 etc.

Because the system drive ("C") is before the data drive ("D") I cannot re-size it using vista's own utility, I can reduce the "D" drive no problem but can't add this freed up space to "C".

I do have an external USB drive at my disposal and wondered if it is possible to clone my internal H.D to the USB H.D, format the internal H.D, re partition it and then clone the external H.D back? Or would I just end up with the same?

Any help would be appreciated.

Will, Oct 30, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Will

clifford_cooley

Yes you can clone your drive using cloning software. However, you maybe thinking in the wrong direction.

You can change the size of a partition when you are restoring a cloned drive. In order to change the size of the partition, you must first have unallocated space available.

It would be easier to use a third party partitioning software that would allow for shrinking D: drive and then move the partition to the end. Please backup your data first just to be on the safe side.

Or you can select from this top 10 list - Best partitioning software

clifford_cooley, Oct 30, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Will

Will

Thanks

Many thanks Clifford. All sorted

Will, Nov 12, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question