Hang up on shut down

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by bomber628, Feb 1, 2008.

1. bomber628

bomber628

Sometimes when I try to shut down or restart, the computer gets to the screen that says shutting down, with the mouse pointer indicating working in the background, (normal), but hangs right there until I force a shutdown by holding the power button. It has even done it from a fresh reboot. One thing I noticed when it happened today, but not sure if this is associated with other occurences...I noticed my mouse indicator showing it was working in the background, but after closing my browser and all programs, it was still there and wouldn't go away. I went to task manager to check running processes and the only things running were as follows: asghost.exe, csrss.exe, dwm.exe,taskmgr.exe, nmapp.exe(network magic software), and EZ-DUB.exe(Lite-on external DVD RW). I tried to reboot and it hung up again. The Lite on was not being used so that was the onlyprocess that seemed out of place. I'm pretty sure that this problem occurred before I connected the Lite-On, but I'm gonna uninstall it and it's software to see if my problem goes away. I do suspect it may be causing the mouse to work in the background and believe it is a separate problem from my shutdown issue.

bomber628, Feb 1, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. bomber628

WAW8

WAW8, Feb 1, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. bomber628

bomber628

I went to the link and it was a WEALTH of information...the event log showed hundreds of warnings involving shutdown delays, desktop windows management problems, way too many things to list or explore more fully. Thanks WAW8 for that . As soon as I get my anytime upgrade disc, I'll be doing a clean install anyway, so I'll see what happens after that.

bomber628, Feb 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question