Graphics card died: Possible Vista error?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Something706, May 18, 2007.

1. Something706

Something706

Hello all!

I just received my Dell E1505 Laptop the other day and already ran into an issue.

Specs:

Intel Core Duo 1.86GHz

2GB RAM

nVidia GeForce Go 7300

120GB hard drive

Windows Vista Home Premium

Ok well I was trying to run the Collectors Edition DOOM95 (ran fine in XP btw) so I set the compatibility mode to XP SP2 and turned off the visual effects and whatnot. Well after I changed those settings, I tried to run the game and that's when it happened. My screen faded, went multicolored, and then eventually black. I tried restarting it but no luck, however I can still hear the normal bootup sounds. After that happened, I waited an hour or two to see if the card just got too hot, and then turned it on again. I got a bit of visual, but it was very poor and all the visual settings were on its lowest. I also plugged my PC monitor into it and got the same visuals, so I know it's not the LCD screen that died.

So I have two theories here. Either the card fried, or Vista deleted/disabled some necessary drivers for that card to operate. It was an instant happening when I tried running DOOM95, so that's why I'm almost leaning towards the driver issue.

The computer is getting fixed Monday, however I would like to hear what you think happened (or know happened if possible) so I can prevent this happening again in the future. I love older games, but if they are going to cause my card to die then I can live without them.

Oh and btw, the problem happened at approximately the 3rd hour of use after I first turned it on.

Thanks for any help I receive!

-Something706

Something706, May 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Something706

VistaRocks

Sounds like it was just a faulty card and then trying to play a game did it in. Hope its a warranty job. Good luck.

VistaRocks, May 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Something706

Walker

Most likely not vista's fault.

Walker, May 19, 2007
  4. Something706

Something706

So would you say it's safe to try running older games like DOOM and Starcraft again? I'd really like to know before I fry the card again lol

Something706, May 19, 2007
  5. Something706

VistaRocks

Yea i think the games themselves are just fine to run, it was most likely just a weak card right from the start.

VistaRocks, May 19, 2007
  6. Something706

Something706

Sweet :D

You guys better be right :p haha

Something706, May 20, 2007
  7. Something706

Something706

UPDATE:

So the guy came and replaced the card. Everything ran fine after that. (This was while I was at work btw. My dad saw it running well though). Well I get home from work, ask my dad how it went. He said it works just fine now. I open it up, hit the power button, AND.............Blank screen :crying:

Nothing would display AGAIN. Booted up normally though according to the sounds. So I plug it into my PC monitor. I was pleased to see that everything ran perfectly through the PC monitor and that there was not a hint of anything wrong. So we call up tech support and tell them the situation. They're going to send someone out and replace the whole screen tomorrow.

HOPEFULLY after tomorrow everything will be fixed.

Something706, May 21, 2007
  8. Something706

VistaRocks

Man sorry to hear about your bad luck, but hopefully everything will get fixed and you can get back to playing your games :).

VistaRocks, May 22, 2007
  9. Something706

Something706

I'M SO CONFUSED

I just got home from school and I tried booting the thing up before the guy came just to see what would happen.........AND IT BOOTED NORMALLY!

This throws another possibility into the mix! Do you think that the battery could be the issue? That's the only thing different between now and last night, besides a cooloff period. The battery was charged overnight, so now it's at 100%. Last night, I was trying to run it at about 40%. However, even when I plugged it into the wall it wouldn't work properly.

I'M SO LOST :( These symptoms are just WEIRD

Something706, May 22, 2007
  10. Something706

kingofnexus

Sounds like Karma. Have you pissed anyone off recently? :hehe:

kingofnexus, May 22, 2007
  11. Something706

Something706

lmao I think I'm losing my sanity. Dell support lied to me yesterday! The techy never showed up :(

So this is what Dell's doing. The guy is going to show tomorrow (supposedly), and if this doesn't fix the problem, they have a new laptop already ordered for me. If the guy fixes it, then we just call Dell up and tell them to cancel the order.

Argh...I have the worst of luck :(

And Nexus, I don't THINK I pissed anyone off recently...lol :Whistling:

12. Something706

Walker

Heh,

my friend got it worse. He has a Fujitsu Siemens, brought it to my house for some LAN battles. After night he tries to switch it on. BEEEEP. and nothing. Leaves it and 4 hours later it turns on. Next week it does the same. This time repair shop. Two weeks later repair shop again....

Walker, May 22, 2007
  13. Something706

Something706

Well if it doesn't get fixed this time, then I definitely want the new laptop. However knowing my luck, that'll break too :p haha

Oh well, we'll see tomorrow hopefully. Thank god I don't have work, so I can watch the guy take it apart this time.

Too bad taking it apart yourself would void the warranty :( lol.

14. Something706

Something706

UPDATE:

FIXED :D Hopefully it STAYS fixed lol. In fact I'm updating from my laptop right now :)

Thanks for all the help guys!

Something706, May 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question