Getting IP conflict errors with only two computers on the wifi network

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Hekmat, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Hekmat

Hekmat

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the wireless network in my home (using windows ultimate on both PCs using a linksys router and a netgear wifi adapter for the pc not connected through a cable). In short, my problem is as follows:

Both computers are configured with static ip addresses so that I can use port forwarding. For some reason however, the PC not connected to the router will randomly get disconnected, and stay disconnected till I unplug and replug in the netgear USB wifi adapter I'm using. When I do this, it says that windows has detected an IP conflict and I have to change my IP address from 192.168.1.19 to 192.168.1.18. After this switch the internet will work fine for a random amount of time (anywhere between 10 minutes and 6 hours) then the same thing will happen again (with the same steps needed to remedy the problem).

I have no clue why there would be an IP conflict between only two computers on the network when they are both assigned static IPs. If anyone could help me solve this problem I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Hekmat, Nov 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Hekmat

MrMagic

Just a hunch, but, if you haven't already done so, make sure that DHCP in the router is turned COMPLETELY OFF. Like I said, justa hunch but see if it helps.

MrMagic, Nov 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Hekmat

cyclic

Go into tcp/ip properties for each and untick 'automatic configuration' and assign the IP you want it to use.

Dont turn DHCP off in the router, give each machine on the LAN a starting and ending range of IP's to use such that there is only one it can use, ie starting IP 1 below what you have already set and ending one above forcing it to use the exact IP address you have already specified. Now it's easy to configure NAT by creating virtual servers for each address with whatever ports you need to allow traffic in or out.

cyclic, Nov 8, 2007
  4. Hekmat

MrMagic

Excellent Idea. I was concerned that the DHCP range addresses were overlapping the statics which I had trouble with once upon a time. Shutting off DHCP cured my problem.

MrMagic, Nov 8, 2007
  5. Hekmat

Hekmat

Thanks for the replies stevec/cyclic.

Where exactly can I add a range of ips for the computers? In tcp/ip properties I can assign one ip per computer. There's an advanced tab I clicked that seems to allow me to add alternative IPs, but says nothing about a range. Is it in the router settings, because I couldn't find it there either (WAG300N is the model of my router).

Also, under the WINS tab that pops up after clicking the Advanced button it mentions something about enabling netbios over tcp/ip; it's at the default currently, should I change it to disable or leave as is?

My thanks again for the help, this has really been irritating me.

Edit: My DHCP ip range is from 200-249 so I would assume that isn't the problem right?

Hekmat, Nov 8, 2007
  6. Hekmat

cyclic

You assign a range of allowable IP's per machine via the router software not in Vista.

What router have you got? I may be able to give you more exact details if I can look up the software interface.

cyclic, Nov 9, 2007
  7. Hekmat

Hekmat

Hekmat, Nov 9, 2007
  8. Hekmat

cyclic

Cool, and on that very page this.... CLICKY

Explains I believe everything you need, how to restrict each machine to only one gateway and how to set a range of IP's for each, all done with nice piccies and stuff I think you should be able to follow it ok, but again if not sure post back, I'll get you there somehow even if it's by using RPC.:D

cyclic, Nov 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question