Genuine advantage

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by ksebruce, Mar 25, 2008.

1. ksebruce

ksebruce

Hi,I bought a second hand laptop which turned out to have a pirate version on Vista Ultimate installed. I got the message from m/soft and purchased "genuine Advantage" which is a Vista Ultimate disc. I have now bought a new laptop and need to know if I take it off the old machine can I install my Genuine advantage Ultimate on my new pooter? Thanks in anticipation. :)

ksebruce, Mar 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. ksebruce

WAW8

I'm moving this to the Installation forum -- which is where it belongs.

I've never heard of MS selling anything known as "Genuine Advantage". WGA is their application that attempts to determine whether or not a particular copy of Windows is "genuine". As far as I know, they only sell licenses -- perhaps that what you mean.

As for your question, if they're sending you a full DVD, and you have a genuine product key, you can install it on any machine you want. If you're asking whether or not you can replace the copy on the laptop, that will depend on whether or not the DVD they send you allows you to do an in-place upgrade. There are posts in the Installation forum that deal with this.

WAW8, Mar 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. ksebruce

ksebruce

Hi windows detected my Vista Ultimate was pirate, it stopped working and I was offered "genuine advantage" which would provide a genuine key for £100. I took up the offer and was given a key immediately to get me working. I then recieved by post a "genuine advantage " pack which contains a 32 bit disc for Vista and a 64 bit disc. I was advised to remove the pirate version and install the disc relevant to my machine. Hope this explains better.

ksebruce, Mar 25, 2008
  4. ksebruce

WAW8

Thanks. I wasn't aware that MS was doing that already...

As to "removing the pirate version", did they provide you any instructions as to how to do that? There are several different versions and each one requires a different method to remove it. In some cases, a simple clean-and-reinstall will work -- but that will wipe out everything on the drive. In other cases, the tools that "hacked" the Vista image in the first place have to be run to restore it.

Since we don't support piracy on this Forum, we don't provide tools to address that, either.

WAW8, Mar 25, 2008
  5. ksebruce

ksebruce

I have a genuine version of XP which I would use to re format the old laptop and install XP onto it.

ksebruce, Mar 25, 2008
  6. ksebruce

WAW8

Sorry ... misunderstood what you were asking. What's on the new laptop -- XP or Vista?

WAW8, Mar 25, 2008
  7. ksebruce

ksebruce

Vista home premium, the WGA disc is for Ultimate

ksebruce, Mar 25, 2008
  8. ksebruce

WAW8

If you're upgrading Home Premium to Ultimate, that should pose no problems.

Good Luck.

WAW8, Mar 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question