General system lag when using explorer windows

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by mrsdoyle, Feb 14, 2007.

1. mrsdoyle

mrsdoyle

If anyone is getting any sort of laggy effects when using explorer windows with large amounts of files in. Turn off the details pane at the bottom of the window, I have found it reall speeds things up.

mrsdoyle, Feb 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. mrsdoyle

snorbaard

Mrsdoyle, I'm having the same issues you have, especially in folders with lots of subfolders or media files (music, images, or video).

Vista seems to take a huge amount of resources for analysing these files, detracting from the user experience. Sure, it may look nice, but it slows the system down.

I'd tried to turn off thumbnails, but that didn't give me the speed boost I was hoping for, so I turned those back on. Haven't tried the details pane yet, though.

Have you (or anyone) noticed how much of the CPU explorer.exe uses when copying these files? My 3GHz Pentium isn't blazingly fast, but I seem to be spending more time on waiting for a copy command to finish that I'd like to.

snorbaard, Feb 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. mrsdoyle

mrsdoyle

Hi, I've also disabled windows search in services and turned of indexing on all the hard drives which has helped.

mrsdoyle, Feb 14, 2007
  4. mrsdoyle

snorbaard

That's one thing I won't do, as it cripples one of the really neat features of Vista - the built-in search.

Although I must admit that I'm always looking for a file that isn't in the index anyway, so I tend to need to check the "Seach in files not in the index" option quite frequently.. :)

snorbaard, Feb 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question