Gateway MT6728 Install Vista Ultimate Freezes

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by David123, Mar 23, 2008.

1. David123

David123

Hi -

I just purchased the Gateway MT6728 laptop and it came with Windows Vista Home Premium installed. I want to completely wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows Vista Ultimate Edition. The install of Ultimate is fine until it gets to "completing installation" and it hangs up and quits responding. I've tried re-installing Home Premium (disc I received with laptop) and it does the same thing. Now I cannot get anything installed.

My guess would be something to do with the SATA drivers. When I get to the drive screen, it shows the drive and when I select Disk Driver, nothing is recognized. I've tried using the downloadable drivers from Gateway and noting appears compatible with my system.

I saw another post topic in this forum with the same probem but not sure if it was ever resolved. The moderator mentioned changing the BIOS to disable EIST and to change the SATA mode to IDE from AHCI but this laptop has Phoenix BIOS and I cannot find anything in the BIOS to change either setting.

The hard drive is a Hitchaci HTS542516K9SA00 and I cannot find drivers for this drive anywhere.

Am I missing something? Do I need to pre-install some other type of BIOS/motherboard drivers for this to work?? Also, I keep reading that I need a floppy drive to install SATA drivers but I thought this was only the case with XP??? When I select Hard Drive Drivers in the Vista install, is this not the same way to install SATA drivers?

Any and all help will be greatly, greatly appreciated...
    David

David123, Mar 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. David123

WAW8

The other post was not resolved. They were told to try doing a Vista repair from the DVD but they never replied.

The need for a diskette to install SATA drivers is for when you install Vista from DVD. If you have a SATA hard drive (as most are, today) it's likely that Vista will require SATA drivers to be loaded in order to see the hard drive. You do that by saving the drivers off to diskette, pressing F6 when you do the install, and loading the drivers from diskette.

The drivers are not written for the hard drive; they're written for the motherboard chipset used for the SATA connection. So, you have to find out the make and model motherboard, and then go to the manufacturer's site to download "chipset" drivers.

Installing Vista from DVD on machines that come preloaded generally does NOT work simply because of the difficulty of finding drivers. The way to do this, on a preloaded machine, is to search the drive for the necessary drivers. OEMs generally provide a folder on the drive with the drivers in it. You copy that off to diskette (or USB stick) and you have what you need for reinstallation.

Try the Vista repair and see if it works.

WAW8, Mar 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. David123

David123

Hey, thank you very much...this is a great help! Gateway provides motherboard drivers from their website. Just one last question.. At what point during the install do you press F6? I've done this before installing XP (at the beginning of install) but have never seen this on Vista.

Thanks again,

David

David123, Mar 24, 2008
  4. David123

WAW8

OK, here are the steps:

1/ Turn your PC On

2/ As the PC starts quickly insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive

3/ If all goes well a black screen should appear with the legend 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD.' If you miss this screen just reboot your machine again

4/ At the 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD' screen Press Enter or any other key to start the Windows Installation

5/ Windows will now start loading files into memory

6/ After files have been loaded the screen will change to a black screen with a green progress bar. Beneath the progress bar are the Microsoft copyright details

7/ After a short while the language selection screen will appear. Select the desired language, and then click the Next button

8/ The Install screen will now appear

9/ On the Install screen Press the Install Now button

10/ At the next screen Insert your Windows Product Code number and press Enter

11/ Next you need to accept the EULA (End User Licence Agreement). Place a Tick in the Accept box and then Click the Next button

12/ At the next screen you will need to Select your Installation type. As you are performing c Clean install only the Custom option will be available for selection

13/ The next screen asks 'Where do you want to install Windows'

14/ On this screen, bottom left hand corner, you will see an option marked Load Drivers. Click on this option

15/ To install the device driver(s) you will need to insert the media that has the relevant driver(s). This media can be floppy disk, CD/DVD or USB flash drive. Once you have inserted the media into the relevant drive, Click the OK button

16/ The system will now search the media for the relevant driver(s)

17/ After the search has been completed the driver(s) will appear in the 'Select the driver to be installed' Window

18/ Select the relevant driver and then click Next

19/ The driver will now be installed

20/ If more than one driver requires to be installed, repeat steps 17 to 19 until the necessary drivers have been installed

21/ After all drivers have been installed, click the Next button to continue installing Windows Vista.

WAW8, Mar 24, 2008
  5. David123

Protos

david if u still have problems with installing xp on your mt6728 just tell me and i will help u ..there is other way how to import sata drivers than pressing F6 and using usb floppy drive

Protos, Apr 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question