gateway bios update

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by vtssin07, Jun 3, 2010.

1. vtssin07

vtssin07

Need help updating my bios to get rid of blue screen. Followed directions from gateway but machine wont boot from disk. Someone told me to update bios from windows. I double click on the autoexec file from the gateway bios update download and a screen comes up for me to enter 1 to select the new bios. I enter 1 then a screen comes up for a split second and disappears. Id there some trick with Vista to allow a bios update. I heard that vista had some protection in it that did not allow you to flash the bios because hackers were using it to authenticate windows products. Help

vtssin07, Jun 3, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. vtssin07

WAW8

Updating the BIOS from inside Windows is quite possibly the WORST way to do it. Any problems at all with Windows, and you end up essentially with an electric brick!

You said your machine won't boot from disk. If you mean diskette, then say so. If you mean CD, then say that.

If it's a diskette, then confirm that your BIOS is set to boot from diskette first. If it's a CD, do the same check in the BIOS.

If the BIOS is set to boot correctly, then you will need to contact Gateway support and see what next they recommend.

WAW8, Jun 13, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question