Full Install from Vista Anytime Upgrade DVD!?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by ike51, Mar 30, 2007.

1. ike51

ike51

My wife bought a new computer last weekend. It came with vista ultimate. In the box was a copy of Vista Anytime Upgrade. From what i've been able to read from the website it's intended to upgrade your vista basic or premium to a better version of vista. You arnt supposed to be able to upgrade a XP computer. SoI was geeking around and decided to check it out. I put it in my XP machine and tried to see if it would upgrade, it wouldnt. I messed around a few minutes and had forgotten about it. I did something that requred a reboot and had forgotten the anytime upgrade dvd was in the drive. I rebooted and a screen came up that said one moment windows is loading. So I let it go and the vista install screen pops up. I turned it back off and stuck in another drive soI wouldnt delete my xp install. I turned it back on and got back to the Vista install screen. I hit next and it asked for the key. The only vista key I had access to was theOEM keyon the back of my wifes computer. Now usually windows wont take a OEM number unless its a OEM version of windows on the disk. This one did. A screen came up and said upgrade has been disabled, choose a drive to install windows on. I clicked on the empty drive and bang, it started installingvista ultimate. Long story made short it installed vista ultimate on my machine.I havnt tried to activate italthoughI think I could because, as usual, the key on the COAthe back of my wifes computer isnt the same one that they installed vista on her machine with. The OEM machines still come with 2 keys,only a few brands that dont.I would think they would have fixed that by now. If anyone knows if Microsoft intended for you to be able to do this with the anytime diskcould you post the url? As far as I know they didnt.

ike51, Mar 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. ike51

WAW8

You got two keys because the one on the machine is associated with the Vista version installed on that machine. Vista product keys are version-specif, that is, I can't use the same key to install business as I can to install ultimate. The second key is for the upgrade because it's tied to that version of Vista.

The test will be when you activate the second version -- if it then deactivates the first version. But to do that, MS would need to know that you own both keys, in order to know which other key to deactivate. That presumes the seller informed MS of both keys.

But even if it does deactivate the first version, since they are different machines, you should be able to call MS, pay for the first machine license, and get it reactivated.

And, to answer your question, it's not supposed to work the way you did it; it's supposed to be used to upgrade an EXISTING Vista installation to a "higher" version and, in the process, deactivate the older version's key. Looks like you may have found an interesting loophole (like the 120-day trial).

WAW8, Mar 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. ike51

cyclic

It has been known this was possible before Vista went onsale but you are right not trying to activate it as it wont.

If you lost your system due to a hard drive failure you would need to reinstall on a new drive, as you are not required to upgrade from XP for Ultimate, what you have done by chance is the method for installing Ultimate to a new drive with no other system, as far as I'm aware there is nothing strange or untoward about this, it's the only way of recovery in the event of a total loss. Clearly you are not supposed to install it on a completely different machine whilst it is still active on the original since this breaks the EULA, but that doesn't mean it's not physically possible.

cyclic, Mar 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question