Frustrating Delay saving a file or opening a window - network drives?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Davynubnub, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Davynubnub

Davynubnub

Hi,

When I go to save something, anything, and the save dialogue box comes up, the mouse pointer becomes the busy rotating hoop thing and I have to wait 10 seconds before I can proceed. The same is true when I open a folder. Now, I believe this is probably whilst windows checks the network drives (two servers, 4 mapped drives) but it happens 4 out of 5 times I save something and really slows me down, especially when 95% of the time I am saving my work to the desktop or folders on C.

This there a way to get vista to cache whatever it does each time with the network drives when it boots or when I first open a folder? as in always display the drives, but only check if they are online if actually needed?! i.e. I click one, and try to put a file there?

Or is this issue something totally unrelated?

Any help much appreciated!

All the best,

Davy

Davynubnub, Jan 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Davynubnub

WAW8

I, too, have folders shared from a file server, but I'm not using anything sophisticated to do it. There is a delay when I open the network and first access the shared drives, but after that, it's instantaneous.

You could look into the following to see if this is related to what you are doing. It's highly technical, but the answer is in the last paragraph:

[url]http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2006/11/27/532465.aspx [/url]

WAW8, Jan 11, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Davynubnub

Davynubnub

Thanks!

Davynubnub, Jan 13, 2008
  4. Davynubnub

WAW8

Did the technet link help in any way?

WAW8, Jan 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question