formatting hardrive

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by brettmarker, Dec 30, 2010.

1. brettmarker

brettmarker

greetings,

I am having an issue formatting my hardrive. I have an error on my system in which is preventing me from running a program. the program is a entertainment program in which for some reason is not able to save becuase of an invalid location. This program has worked in the past but not after re-installing the program , it has gained an error, after erasing the harddrive , deleting the hardrive, and reformating the hardrive I am still not able to save my save game programs becuase it says invalid save game spot #0 or number 3. Basically I think that after I am deleting and reformatiing the hardrive I am not actually reformtimng and deleting the enitre drive since this error keeps coming up. Is there some other way to erase the contents of my hardrive without leaving any traces? looking for a free resource. thnaks

brettmarker, Dec 30, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. brettmarker

WAW8

To erase the contents of your drive "without leaving any traces" you are really talking about WIPING the drive -- which is physically overwriting the drive with ones and zeroes so that no trace of the data remains.

A good Linux utility for doing that is known as DBan -- available via the following link:

http://www.dban.org/download

You need to go to their site and read about how to use it, download the file, burn it to CD, boot from it, and run it.

WAW8, Dec 30, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question