For Those Crashing at the End of Vista Install but Passed the MS Advisor Test

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by CheckMyTilt, Feb 3, 2007.

1. CheckMyTilt

CheckMyTilt

Hey Gang,

As I am sure you are aware alot of us are crashing right at the end of the installation process. We all want to get going only to have it crash right in our faces. I have spent a good 5 days on this and Microsoft Tech was worthless. But the main problem for higher end Vistas is the video cards. Mine is as powerful as they get and had me doubting my processor but i kept crashing right when Tech support said I should have my video hardware taking over so this is what I did and I can now say Vista is the Ultimate.

Turn off the machine after it has done the roll back to XP(upgrade) or just turn off if you are doing a fresh full install.

Open the case..yes open the case and take out your video card.

Plug your monitor directly into the Motherboard slot on the back of the PC.
    (Sounds super strange but I did it on three machines now and this is the process)

Try installing again. This time it should get past the freeze/crash. Sounds wierd but again, 3 machines now.

Once it installs entirely it will want to reboot. DONT LET IT START NORMALLY. Press F8 and start it in Safe Mode WITH Networking.

Go on the net and get the vista driver for your card and save it to your desk top.

Turn the machine off and reinstall your card. Make sure this time you start in Safe Mode AGAIN. Once in safe mode install the driver. For you ATI guys install the Catylyst later. Just the driver for now.

Once the driver is installed and the screen will flicker a few times, you get to restart normally. Makes me want to shed a tear [​IMG] .

Also, for your Vista Aero users. Once Vista is up it is NOT set to use Aero. Quickest way to turn it on is to go into help and do a trouble shoot for Aero. Otherwise you have to change scheme, color variations, refresh rates and monitor settings. Yawn.

Well there it is gang, maybe we can all get up and running yet but for those of you that Passed the advisor this was the only fix we could make work and its working pretty good.

GOOD LUCK!

CheckMyTilt, Feb 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. CheckMyTilt

oddlike7

Video cards have been causing issues, but typically the "crashing" at the end of installation is due to Vista trying to migrate settings from XP, on upgrade installations anyways. Nine times out of 10, it is caused by Anti-virus or firewall programs. Symantec is a big one for this. Make sure you completely remove ANY/ALL anti-virus and firewall programs before upgrading... even if the upgrade advisor doesn't warn you about it. Once you're up and running, you can reinstall your security programs, assuming they are Vista compliant. At present, a Vista patch for Symantec is required.

oddlike7, Feb 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. CheckMyTilt

sylvestermax

CheckMyTilt

What should I do if I don't have on board video? Any suggestions?

sylvestermax, Feb 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question