Folder security- Lost access to my own files

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Andy8741, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Andy8741

Andy8741

Hi everyone, I accidentally disabled access to my own drive (documents) through the security tab. I thought it was a sharing feature, so I removed the permission for "everyone" under "group or user name". I tried to restore it back under my name as an administrator, or even under "everyone" but it wouldn't work giving me an error message: "An error occurred while applying security information to: F:\My Documents...." Then it says "access is denied" right beneath it.

I've been looking for a solution the whole day and nothing worked. I disabled the UAC and that didn't help either. Would someone please help because I can't access my documents which I need for school? This is really urgent. Thanks in advance.

Andy8741, Dec 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Andy8741

Andy8741

Anyone :crying:

Andy8741, Dec 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Andy8741

FireUser

Right click the drive and then goto properties. Then click on security tab. After clicking that click administrator, then click advance. Then goto the Owner tab, then instead of trusted owner click edit, then you can click your account name and then click ok and then reply to me your results.

FireUser, Dec 2, 2007
  4. Andy8741

Andy8741

Thanks for your reply Fireuser. it only worked for some files and not for others. There's still a lot of files that I can't access.

Andy8741, Dec 2, 2007
  5. Andy8741

FireUser

You could open the drive though? Then manually do my process to each folder. I don't understand how you deleted people under the groups and users. Do you still have the different classes like Admin System ect.

FireUser, Dec 2, 2007
  6. Andy8741

Andy8741

No, I only had "everyone", that's all.

Andy8741, Dec 2, 2007
  7. Andy8741

FireUser

Then I don't know. Sorry wish I could help, but thats beyond my knowledge.

FireUser, Dec 2, 2007
  8. Andy8741

Andy8741

Ok, Fireuser, you're right. I have to do it manually for every folder. Thanks again for your help man. I appreciate it.

Andy8741, Dec 2, 2007
  9. Andy8741

FireUser

No problem any time.

FireUser, Dec 2, 2007
  10. Andy8741

Andy8741

Ok, so I was able to retrieve my ownership back (w/ the help of fireuser) for most files & folders but there are still a lot of files that I can't open even after setting the ownership for the individual file, it still doesn't open (keeps saying that I don't have permission to open that file). Does that mean the file is corrupted?

Andy8741, Dec 2, 2007
  11. Andy8741

FireUser

After gaining ownership, try adding yourself to the admin category by clicking administrator or everyone on groups and users. click edit then add then in the box type your account user name then click ok , then check everything you want that user group to be able to do. You should have access now.

FireUser, Dec 2, 2007
  12. Andy8741

Andy8741

Thanks again, Fireuser. I'm already added as an admin. But the same problem that was happening before (before I tried to do each folder separately as you suggested) is happening again, which is that error message saying "An error occurred while applying security information to:.....Access is denied"

And those files that didn't go through this process are the ones that don't open even after I go in and change each one's security settings manually.

The individual folders within the main folder inside the partition came back to normal and I'm able to view the files in there, but only some of the individual files (not in a subfolder) that are in the main folder are not opening. There were fine before this happened. I hope that they didn't become corrupted.

Andy8741, Dec 2, 2007
  13. Andy8741

kingofnexus

There is a command line option which you can use and will sometimes take ownership of files which you can't, however this is tedious and I think you may have to type in the path of each file name rather than each folder. Type 'takeown /?' in command prompt for info on how to use it.

What might be a good idea is to do a system restore. It might change the permissions back to what they were but i'm not sure.

kingofnexus, Dec 5, 2007
  14. Andy8741

yfc_jason85

hey man...try dis...i tink your drive has been restricted...right click the drive or teh folder and click properties...click the security and next click advance...go to owner tab.click your account name.f you see "Replace Owner onsubcontianers and object" check it...aply and ok...

yfc_jason85, Dec 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question