File icons lost from desktop when transfered from jumpdrive or similar

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by ClypsoArt, Mar 18, 2008.

1. ClypsoArt

ClypsoArt

This is a strange problem.

Sometimes If I drag a file from a jumpdrive, CD etc to the desktop the icon for the item does not appear. If I try to do it again I get the "do you want to overwrite dialog" which means the file is there. If I use windows explorer to browse for the file it shows it is on the desktop.

If instead of dragging directly to the desktop I drag the file to a folder on the desktop and then from the folder to the desktop the file icon displays correctly.

At first I thought it might be that the icon was going to my other monitor but no where is it visible.

Suggestions?

Gateway NX860XL

Nvidia geForce go 7900gs

DEll 2407 monitor

ClypsoArt, Mar 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. ClypsoArt

WAW8

That is strange -- looks like it's not refreshing your desktop after the file drag and drop so, although the file has been copied, the desktop display is now stale.

At the bottom left of the taskbar, there should be an icon that says "show desktop" when you mouse over it. Try clicking that to hide/show the desktop and see if that forces a refresh of the display.

WAW8, Mar 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question