Fatal flaw in Vista's Disk Cleanup function

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Setishock, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Setishock

Setishock

Setishock, Jan 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Setishock

WAW8

First off, using several different AV/Spyware apps at the same time is asking for trouble. I recently switched from Symantec to NOD 32 and the next thing I knew, Windows Explorer quite working. Try using Vista without a Start button, program menus, and right-clicking!!

OK, in all fairness, it happened after I did another update (Alcohol 120%) but with Symantec AV, I never had a problem under Vista with Alcohol 120%. ESET tech support (of course) is unaware of any conflict between NOD 32 and Alcohol 120%.

What's the moral of my rambling? Just this -- comparatively speaking, Vista, and the apps that run under it, are still relatively "new". Best approach IMHO is to install the minimum of what you need and use that for a while. Pick one AV product, not several. Don't mess with the registry, especially using registry "clean" tools. Keep your loaded SW to a minimum. Also, make sure that Windows Update is set to Notify, not automatic. And do NOT install driver updates using Windows Update -- only install them from the vendor sites. And even then, do an OS offline image before installing driver updates. Driver rollback doesn't always work.

And finally, do NOT rely on System Restore to save ANYTHING! I've been running Vista Ultimate on a machine for over a year and, out of the blue, it decided to corrupt the Restore Point catalog. I was able to fix it, but in the process, ALL of my restore points were trashed!!

WAW8, Jan 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Setishock

Setishock

My system only has one AV and the two spyware programs only run when opened. I think you missed the point. It only does the damage when the three items off the clean list are selected and removed. Only thing running in the back ground is ZoneAlarm, AVG, and the Intel Desktop Utilities. The IDU monitors the temps and fans.

This is the only problem I'm having with Vista. Other than finding software for monitoring my wireless connections, I find it easy to use. Lots of eye candy resources that could have been used elsewhere as in stability and performance. I have a message in to tech support. Thanks any way for trying to help.

Setishock, Jan 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question