Factory Restore on Acer Extensa 5610

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by mario-182, Jan 24, 2008.

1. mario-182

mario-182

Hi everyone,

I've recently been having a lot of indescribable problems with my 4 month old notebook running on vista

I recently took it to Chile, from Australia, and was told that it might have 'electrical' problems due to voltage differences..

But it seems that that problem was scrapped;

right now on startup it switches to the old W98-grey style theme..,

it runs extremely slow, most system tools don't operate, it can't find my WI-FI connection and I'm constantly getting signs saying countless amounts of programs stopped working and were shut down, system programs I'm guessing because I've never heard of half of them.

I was about to downgrade to XP, but I don't really want to anymore

And to top things off, my external HDD is been serviced, so I can't back all my files up in order to do a factory restore

But I've just been snooping around the eRecovery tool and the warning said "all data from the C: drive will be overwritten"

My question is, if i move all my important files to the F: and take out the factory restore, will the files in the F drive be erased at all?

I'm guessing not, but there's a lot of files I have to back up, so I'm just making sure

Thank you

Mario

mario-182, Jan 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. mario-182

WAW8

Sorry no one got back to you before this ...

Factory restore programs generally wipe and restore the entire OS volume of the hard drive. Ans, in many cases, preloaded Vista boxes only come with two volumes -- Vista dna a hidden restore volume. So, chances are, any files and programs will be wiped out by a factory restore.

Best bet is to save your files to an external drive, or USB sticks now that 8GB sticks are available for a few dollars. Then, do the factory restore.

WAW8, Jan 31, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question