External Backup Disk Is Full

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by Lynnea, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Lynnea

Lynnea

I have Windows Vista 64-bit. The fellow who built the computer set up scheduled backups on an external hard drive. The drive is nearly full. I don't see any information about what to do when the disk is full. Will older backups be deleted?

Lynnea

Lynnea, Mar 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Lynnea

WAW8

Vista backup is probably about the worst backup application you can use. The manuals claim that it will automatically delete older backups to make room for newer ones, but the forums and blogs of full of posts by folks that claim that's not true. I don't use it myself, so I don't know what it will do when it runs out of space.

A key example of the flawed implementation of Vista backup is the saving of file categories. That's right, you can't designate which files, only which categories of files. So, most of the time, you're backing up the same files over and over again.

A much better third-party solution is Acronis True Image. It costs around $50, allows you to do full and incremental backups, and allows you to do full image backups. I've used it for years and it's saved me numerous times.

WAW8, Mar 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Lynnea

Lynnea

I have Acronis. I gave up on trying to make the scheduled backups work. The forum is full of folks who have also been unable to make the schedule work. I concluded that Acronis would be good for a full system backup.

Genie is the program I am now trying out for data backups.

Would you recommend just deleting the Windows file backups and not using it at all? I did make a Windows complete PC backup on another drive.

Lynnea

Lynnea, Mar 26, 2008
  4. Lynnea

WAW8

Ditto. Have scheduled backups numerous times. While they launch, when done, ATI tells me I still haven't scheduled any. Wilders forum is full of folks complaining about this.

But, I have been able to restore Windows systems faithfully several times with ATI. That's what's most important to me.

That's what I did. When I discovered that the Vista Complete PC Backup was going to reformat my entire drive as a byproduct of the restore (!), I erased the backup I had made. ATI doesn't reformat the drive, it just overwrites the existing partition.

Just make sure that your backup program backs up the complete partition image, not just files. MS introduced an implementation of soft links in Vista (calling them "junctions") and, until you do a restore, you don't know if a file-backup program can handle those properly.

WAW8, Mar 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question