Extend 'trial' period @ sorted @

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by cyclic, Sep 5, 2007.

1. cyclic

cyclic

I didn't have to do this before, but I tried it from root C: and it worked ! go figure.

Because I have been fiddling with both the x86 and x64 versions of my retail Vista home premium I decide not to activate either until I had played with each for a while.

most of us tech types will be aware of the <slmgr -rearm> trick which resets the grace period back to 30 days for as many as 3 occasions giving you a whole lot more evaluation period that just the usual 30 days.

26 days ago I did this to both versions and sure enough on reboot they reported 30 days left to activate, they are both now down to 4days left and the rearm command no longer has any effect. Keep in mind I have done this only once previously I am wondering if we have had this featurette 'patched' out without being made aware of it.

Unless some kind person has some better idea about what's going on than me (well it would have to be because currently I am clueless) and shares that info. soon I am going to have to do another clean install of the two, well probably only the x86 really, the x64 seems less than fully supported with drivers and the like, I can't just activate the x86 now and have done with it 'cos I just did a clean install and never 'upgraded' it from the Vista disk, as I have now updated it, it wont accept it as a valid install as it's an upgrade disk not a full. Truth is I just plain forgot to reinstall it again as an upgrade from itself, it seems such an arbitry route to having a full, legit version I don't know why we can't just doa clean install and activate it, why bother to get peeps to go through the same process again ??

Anyway, there for what it's worth is my current dilemma, any suggestions gratefully received.

cyclic, Sep 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question