Exploring Vista's Diagnostic Utilities

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by Jason, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason

This is for all those guys who like to mess around with their pc and eventaully need help fixing it!

Memory Diagnostics

If Vista detects a memory problem in your system such as a faulty RAM module, it will display a notification asking if you want Vista to try to diagnose the problem.Then again you may also recieve the sudden BSOD with the error MEMORY MANAGMENT at the top. You can manually run this tool anytime just typememory in the search box inside the start menu.This tool offers you two options: restarting immediately and checking for problems, or running next time you reboot your machine (the memory diagnostic tool must run at boot time).

[​IMG]

Network Diagnostics

Windows Vista also allows you to check the connectivity of your network connection using the Network Diagnostics Framework: An infrastructure and a set of built-in and extensible components that attempts to automatically diagnose and correct network connectivity problems. The usual way to run this check is to open Network Center and click the Diagnose Internet Connection link on the left Vista will either identify the problem and try to fix it, or will suggest that you send an anonymous report to Microsoft to help them improve the product.

[​IMG]

Although, it can very difficult for windows to diagnose a network problem when it comes to specific broad scenarios:

A good example of a connectivity issue that provides incomplete information and can be difficult to troubleshoot is the following Internet Explorer error message page when a Web page cannot be loaded:

<UL><LI>The page cannot be displayed</LI><LI>The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.</LI>[/list]

For example, if Internet Explorer in Windows Vista cannot display a Web page, the error message text informs the user to click Tools, and then Diagnose Connection Problems. This invokesthe network diagnostic utilityto attempt to identify and correct the problem within the context of Internet Explorer. By diagnosing problems within their context, the diagnostics process is aware of the task and relevant information related to it, such as a URL, an email server name, or a wireless network name.

Startup Repair

Having trouble booting vista? Dual boot causing chaos? Vista now has a new tool dedicated to fixing issues such as these. If you happen to doing a dual boot with Xp and Vista, and you happen to install XP after Vista the result is Vista not booting. This happens primarily because XP has overwritten Vista's boot loader which is widely different from the old XP one. When vista is initially installed it installs its won boot loader on the first 512kb of the primary drive. This boot loader also detects legacy operating systems such as XP or Windows 98, but they must have been installed prior to installing Vista.

This tool is located on your Vista product DVD. To use it, insert the DVD, restart your machine, and choose View System Recovery Options (Advanced) from the menu. You'll need the username and password for an account on your machine. Then, select Startup Repair from the list of recovery tools, and hopefully things will fix themselves. However it must be noted that this tool is not a fix all miracle, if you have badly messed up your boot loader by using third party tools or another method it may not be recoverable. In which case a reinstallation/u

Jason, Feb 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

kingofnexus

Good Info, I checked out the relaibility chart, and i can say your system is alot more reliable than mine:

[​IMG]

I think I have some reliability problems :hehe:

Also it kept the records from when i first installed RC2.

kingofnexus, Feb 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

Jason

haha, funny you say that. That actually isnt a picture of mine, I found that image online as an example. My laptop has BSOD so many times because of a bad memory stick it prolly looks like a crazy roller coster. I'll have to post it up later.

Jason, Feb 23, 2007
  4. Jason

kingofnexus

Lol, probably look like one steep drop from when the records start.

kingofnexus, Feb 23, 2007
  5. Jason

Walker

Well Jason it's prolly more reliable than my notebook on RC1. It does not wake up.... Just a black screen. It's reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaly wierd. I can see faint outlines of the programs.....

Walker, Apr 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question