Exfat vs NTFS

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by rossmo, Oct 3, 2010.

1. rossmo

rossmo

Hello. Have an external hard drive connected via USB that I use for backups. Has about half of it formatted as NTFS for backing up PC and had other portion as FAT32 for backup of PS3. No longer needed backup of PS3 so removed FAT32 partition and tried to extend the NTFS portion to the remaining half. Have noticed that NTFS side now says exfat and won't let me extend to other portion. I swear it was NTFS prior to removing FAT32. Is it possible it would change? Regardless, how do I get it all into one partition and will exfat screw anything up from a backup/restore perspective? Thanks for any advice you can provide.

rossmo, Oct 3, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. rossmo

clifford_cooley

I have no experience with EXFAT partitions, which leads me to the following statement. If it were my drive, I believe I would create a new NTFS drive and copy all data from the EXFAT to the new NTFS drive. Once all data has been moved, you can then delete the EXFAT partition. Expand the NTFS drive after all previously mentioned items have been completed.

You can use Partition Wizard Home Edition to expand your partitions if you don't have software that will work for you. Partition Wizard Home Edition is free partitioning software to use at home.

clifford_cooley, Oct 3, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. rossmo

rossmo

Thanks for the advice. Will give it a shot.

rossmo, Oct 3, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question