Error when entering product key when installing Windows Vista on XP pro

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by DVD 001, Apr 30, 2007.

1. DVD 001

DVD 001

Hi all,

I have XP Pro and I want to install windows Vista from DVD (MSDN- AUG 2006)

My product key works fine when I install it on Virtual PC but,

when I run the setup of Vista, and enter the product key, it comes up with a message "Windows encountered an error. Please restart your installation" . I restart the installation, but I get the same error msg. I even tried restating my laptop (1GB RAM,80 GB HD)but the same message appeared.

I tried to format my PC, installed XP pro again, activated it , updated it but .. no use!

Doesany oneknow about this ?!?

DVD 001, Apr 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. DVD 001

Jason

Are you booting the dvd from startup not from within xp?

Jason, May 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. DVD 001

Walker

Which version of vista might this be?

If it is an RC then try putting back your bios clock to a date prior to 2007. I did that with my pc and it installed fine. After 2 long reinstalls that failed :(

Walker, May 2, 2007
  4. DVD 001

cyclic

Personally I think you need to forget XP Pro, you do have to clean install Vista as there is no upgrade path with XP Pro so unless you are as suggested booting to the DVD and selecting a clean install on a nice new primary partition it's bound to fail. Have you tried this yet? The big advantage of course is that Vista will arrange a dual boot system for you so you can still use XP Pro as it will remain untouched, handy until you get familiar with Vista, the only down side in my opinion is that Vista places it's boot files on the XP partition which can cause trouble especially when you finally decide to blat the XP drive, but when that time comes and assuming you're not by then conversant with re-arranging boot files and changing registry settings so you can just delete XP in it's entirity, there are several (at least) of the members here who are and will gladly give you a guiding hand to do it without damaging your Vista install.

cyclic, May 3, 2007
  5. DVD 001

kingofnexus

Also try not entering a product key. You can install vista then enter it later.

kingofnexus, May 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question