ERROR: The RPC server is unavailable.

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Ztruker, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Ztruker

Ztruker

When I try to run tasklist from my Windows 8 desktop against my Vista Laptop I get the following error:

C:\Windows\System32>tasklist /s \\laptop
    ERROR: The RPC server is unavailable.

When I run the same command against my Webserver running Windows 7 Pro, it works. I get the same error if I run it from the laptop against my desktop, so it's definitely a Vista problem. The RPC Server is started on the laptop.

This seems to be a problem with Vista that has been around for years but I can not find a fix anywhere on the internet.

Anyone have any ideas?

I"m going to try the shotgun approach and start a bunch of services and see if that makes a difference but something a little more reasoned would be nice :)

Ztruker, Feb 20, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Ztruker

Ztruker

Ah ha! It's the Windows Firewall that is causing the problem. I disabled it on the Vista laptop and tasklist from the desktop now works. I guess I need to find out what port is used and allow it through the firewall.

Found it. Had to enable Remote Administration exception to the Vista Firewall and now it works as it should.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    Ztruker, Feb 20, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question