Error message: "Login process has failed to create the security options dialog"

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by lasix1, Jan 9, 2008.

1. lasix1

QuintonHeckroth

RE: [SOLVED] Error message: "Login process has failed to create the security options dialog"

Hey everyone,

I've just signed up due to recently having the same problem and found this great forum!

First off, reading through all these replies there is much talk of disabling your AV, has anyone had any experience with Kaspersky Anti-virus. It's a great little program and i've had no problems, I'm not sure why they'd start now!

From my experience the problem was gradual. It started whilst trying to join a particular server in a game I play, I thought nothing of it and hard-restarted the computer, happens again. Becoming more and more alarmed I try to google a solution, guess what? even Firefox would stop responding and subsequently bring down the whole system. The whole game related freeze lead me to believe it could have been a dodgy driver, I'm not sure.

When trying to System Restore in an attempt to fix the problem, it has been unsuccessful in restoring - strange.

I attempted to backup some files to an external hard-drive, resulting in another freeze about half way through. It's incredible how such a problem has not yet been addressed by Microsoft!

I'll post a few specs:

Dell Studio 1535

Intel 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo

3GB RAM

WD 250GB HDD

Any help would be great,

Quinton

QuintonHeckroth, Aug 31, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. lasix1

bobburrus

RE: [SOLVED] Error message: "Login process has failed to create the security options dialog"

I realize that this was an old post however I ran into the identical problems that were listed. After many hours of trial and error, I completely removed AVG 8.5 from my computer and problem was solved. I did a clean reinstall of AVG and the problem returned. I guess this must be an issue for AVG to explain.

bobburrus, Sep 4, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. lasix1

toshironikko

My friend is having a problem with i believe Vista HP with SP1. Its a recent error where after startup everything will run but after 1-2 min (no matter what you do in those minutes) the computer will "freeze" - it will act like it is gonna load a program with the little circle thing, but never will and hitting CTRL+ALT+DLT brings up the Login process error message. Cant seem to uninstall anything in Safe Mode and doesnt last long enough to uninstall anything in normal mode.

toshironikko, Sep 6, 2009
  4. lasix1

Rick0246

Okay I had ready most of everyones posts....I too had this problem very recently, however I am aware of the problem at hand. It seems this only happens when I install an additional Spyware remover application. I currently have Spyware Doctor with Anti-Virus and it has never given me problem. Recently a friend of mine insisted for me to get webroot spysweeper in which I did and it detected a trojan virus called Trojan-aax5, which is not a real threat until you remove it or quarantine it. Anytime I would remove the virus my system would do exactly what everyone is having problems with, the whole ctrl+alt+del failed dialogue box....only way to correct the problem for was to combofix it or restore windows to an earlier time when they problem was not there. I will definately stick to Spyware doctor from now on....spyware doctor does not detect that trojan-aax5, so I can assume its not really doing any damage to the system. As for combofix, it does work and gets rid of all the problems however it resets pretty everything back to default.

Hope this information helps.

Rick0246, Sep 22, 2009
  5. lasix1

SteKel

Hi all,

I just joined this forum because of the valuable information within this topic. I had this mysterious problem started occurring some weeks ago and since then i've been struggling with it. In my case it's positively solved now, so i'd like to share my solution.

It all started in a very unfavorable situation. Due to a renewal of my house my computer had been stored since last june. I started using it again around half of august. In the process i installed a new TV tuner card and connected a wireless keyboard and mouse. Further more my AV software NOD32 needed to be upgraded, like several other programs. And last but not least, SP2 for Vista was released, which i installed. In other words, this was not an ideal situation for tracking down a problem. The culprit could be so many things.

I tried almost anything mentioned in this topic. Unfortunately with no result. Until then my primary suspects were the TV card and SP2. In order to rule them out i removed the TV card and rolled back to a backup image from june. The problem persisted. Thanks to this thread i then began focussing at NOD32. To be honest i never really suspected the upgrade from v3 to v4, because i always trusted this product completely and i couldn't imagine it causing these kind of problems.

Browsing through this topic though, things began falling into place. Many of you linked the problem to AV software. Since the only message Vista produces is related to a security issue, this could well be it. But then again, how could the problem still persist after i rolled back to a backup in which NOD32 wasn't upgraded yet? I then reconstructed everything i did and in which order. Suddenly i realized i upgraded NOD32 not long after the several rollbacks, because i was sure that wasn't causing it! So about a week ago i downgraded NOD32 back from v4 to v3. And guess what? Still stable, which was unthinkable with NOD32 v4 installed. I had to hard reboot every 5 minutes to 1 hour if lucky.

So in my case i identified NOD32 as the culprit with 100% certainty. I can imagine not only specifically NOD32 causes this problem, but any kind of AV software in general. Especially since the Vista Security Center started notifying me about NOD32 v3 reporting it's status in a format which wasn't supported by Vista anymore. That way i got to upgrading to v4, which was supposed to have solved that problem. It did indeed, but as we all know, it created a much bigger problem. The AV software notifications must have been triggered by a Vista update, because v3 always worked well. I don't know which update is involved, but this tells me that this whole thing must be a compatibility issue.

However this problem apparently already exists for a while, i still haven't read any comments from the AV software manufacturers. This amazes me. Are they still unaware of the problem or just not acknowledging it? When will they fix it? How will people know when they can safely upgrade their AV software to solve Vista incompatibility? Who knows, but i sure hope this post will contribute to solutions for you all!

Kind regards,
    Gerard
    The Netherlands

SteKel, Sep 24, 2009
  6. lasix1

pdv001

This is definitely an issue with Windows Service Pack 2. I had the same symptoms right after downloading the updated for Service Pack 2 from Windows where my computer would just lock up and be non responsive immediately after logging into windows or minimal use. I had to do a hard shut down every time and go through a disk check. If I used the Ctrl Alt Delete keys it would bring up a black screen and the error "logon process has failed to create the security options dialog" box.

How I fixed my computer: I restored my computer to a restore point before downloading Service pack 2 and unistalled my Norton Systems Works Anti Virus (to be on the safe side). After System Restore (In Safe Mode) I then logged back on and re-installed my Anti-virus. I was sure to change my Windows update options to not Automatically download updates and now without Service Pack 2 on my computer it is back to normal.

I have sincee hidden the Service Pack update and I will not be downloading Service Pack 2 again!!! Be sure that you change you automatic update settings for windows or it will Auto Download again...

Give it a try and let me know what happens...

:D

pdv001, Sep 27, 2009
  7. lasix1

SteKel

As mentioned before, i have SP2 running without any problems at all. But as soon as i upgrade my AV software NOD32 from v3 to v4, things go bad. This happens with SP1 as well as with SP2. So like i described earlier in this topic, i don't think SP2 itself is the culprit, however i do agree that a Vista update has something to do with it. I guess it depends on how you look at it. Communications between Vista and AV software causes the problem, so one of them is guilty. Has the jury reached a verdict?

SteKel, Oct 2, 2009
  8. lasix1

SteKel

Having said the above, i then wondered when i could safely upgrade NOD32 from v3 to v4. So i visited the Eset website, where i discovered some interesting stuff.

There is this KB article at http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?pag...p;viewlocale=en_US&amp;searchid=1254468467772.<DIV class=im-page-subtitle><U>Why does my Protection status icon turn red after installing Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008? (4.0)</U> </DIV>

Problem: The ESET icon next to the system clock turns red after installing Service Pack 2 for Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008.<DIV class="attr SOLUTION"><DIV class=content>

Solution: Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 can conflict with version 4.0 of ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus. If youare running version 4.0 of either ESET Smart Securityor ESET NOD32 Antivirusand have installed the latest update for Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, which includes Service Pack 2, you may be experiencing issues with your ESET security product.

An incompatibility between Service Pack 2 and the 4.0 versions of ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus may prevent the proper functioning of real-time file-system protection. If your computer is experiencing this issue, the ESET icon next to the system clock will turn red, alerting you that maximum protection is not ensured. It may also notify you that your ESET security product needs to be reinstalled. However, reinstalling will not fix the issue. An update for version 4.0 ESET security products has been released and automatically distributed.

My guess is, that this refers to the same problems we're discussing about here. Only instead of the protection status icon turning red, the machine freezes and occasionally produces the well known "Login process has failed to create the security options dialog" message.

I checked the release date of the (Dutch) v4 upgrade file and it's from September 11th.This appeared to be a newer version then the one i installed earlier,causing all the problems. So i decided to give it a try and installed it. That was about an hour ago and everything is still stable. So now i'm running the newest AV software and SP2 at the same time. I'll keep you posted.</DIV></DIV>

SteKel, Oct 2, 2009
  9. lasix1

cguanes

I got the same "logon process has failed to create the security options dialog" error, laptop frozen after a couple sec of booting.

I just wanted to add that disabling the Readyboost and windows defender did the trick.

The laptop is brand new, I was just installing the softwares that I need on it, Office 2007, VS2005, VS2008 and ESET AV.

Thanks guys.

cguanes, Oct 3, 2009
  10. lasix1

thetotsta

I too have experienced this problem on multiple occations. The first few times i tried and tried but nothing would work. Even tech supports (even though i know they know nothing about computers and just read out the solutions off a screen) and they too advised me to format my machine. After doing so (with much stem coming from the ears at losiong all my personal documents) all seemd fine for a few months, then again the same thing. I did all steps again and wiped out my machine. But Alas today, just a few months on AGAIN i get the same problem that you all had.

After scanning this forum over and over again i came to one conclusion, its all looking like its anti virus software thats conflicting with shista... Oops i mean VISTA. I was running Comodo internet security (Antivirus, Adware, Malware, Spyware and firewall bundle) I simply took one simple step of removing this software and all is fine! No problems! so simple yet so damn fustratingly difficult to diagnose!

Hope this helps anyone else in some way. Kind of ironic how said software thats meant to protect your computer ends up conflicting with one of the most commonly used opperating systems. Cant wait for windows 7!!!

thetotsta, Oct 8, 2009
  11. lasix1

carolinian

I had same error message. I turned off windows defender and problem went away. I appreciate everyone's help!!!

carolinian, Oct 11, 2009
  12. lasix1

Bruce B

I am having all the same problems listed here in this thread. I had downloaded RegCure and found it came with Malwate and trojan horses, I downloaded ASquared and got rid of all that and uninstalled REG cure. I got rid of AVG and downloaded and ran Panda anti virus Pro.. I also run ThreatFire and some uses on this forum reported that uninstalling Threatfire helped. I have run every utility including CCleaner Registsry cleaner... My computer runs fine for a while and then BAM! can't open anything except in safe mode. I will post my progress or lack there of....

VISTA SUCKS. I have a friend who is running a beta version of 7 and he claims it runs much, much better and takes up far fewer resources...

Bruce B, Oct 14, 2009
  13. lasix1

doug33763

I know jack sh!t about computers, but I do have intelgence which is just above idiot. So when my computer suffered the same issues (this was caused just after clicking on a link my friend send me to make my crank big and large), instead of spending money at Best buy. I googled searched this in my Smart Phone "My Touch".

After reading through all the insight, I decided on the opening in Safe mode and the closing all start up programs. I found one program called "Sservice" which was loaded the same time I clicked on the link. It is a trojan virus which steals passwords or something to this effect.

As soon as i turned off all programs the computer worked right away.

Thank you to all you computer guys out there who can explain things to us morons.

doug33763, Oct 15, 2009
  14. lasix1

adamroucka

hi all,

the failure-security options problem here too. Damn. It appeared suddenly for no visible reasons. I have tried all mentioned here, stop defender, sidebar, uninsal antivirus, norton registry cleanup..nothing helped... it even freezes during shutdown... dont know what else to do. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks all.

adamroucka, Nov 4, 2009
  15. lasix1

Daikken

I've been battling this problem on my HP Pavilion dv9500 Laptop for close to the last 6 months. I ran checkdisk, virus scans, I even did a recovery back to original "as bought" state (followed by reinstall of programs one by one...). Since finding this thread this morning, I have tried only one thing. Uninstalling AVG 8.5. That has worked thus far. Boot was faster, nothing has stopped responding, everything seems to be working. THANK YOU ALL! :D

Daikken, Nov 5, 2009
  16. lasix1

meesha

AAAAAAHHHHHH!

I'm having the same problem!! I'm currently posting this from our laptop cos the pc just gives me the blue screen of death! I'm wondering if anyone has installed Windows7, and has this helped?

meesha, Nov 14, 2009
  17. lasix1

shradej1

After a couple days reading posts about this problem and realizing that my setup was completely different from everyone else's, I started doing my own investigation. My AV program is McAfee, which I haven't seen mentioned as a culprit in any dialog. I tried turning Windows Defender off, to no avail. What seemed to be happening was that my memory utilization was going through the roof after just a couple minutes of the computer being up and running.

If you haven't tried this, bring up the task manager (Ctrl + Shift + esc), and click on the Performance tab. By the time the computer has slowed to a crawl, I bet the CPU utilization is minimal (0 - 20% utilization), but the memory utilization is almost at 100%.

On my machine, none of the running processes seemed to be consuming large amounts of memory. I did some investigating on Vista's "memory management" strategy, which is vastly different than anything in any of the old Windows OSs. There's a service, Superfetch, that tries to load up your idle RAM with stuff that you may soon use. This is stored in "Cached Memory," and is supposedly freed up if a running process needs it. I believe that perhaps something happened that corrupted the superfetch service which causes it to constantly cache things in memory, but never frees the memory when another process actually needs it.

If no other remedy has helped to relieve this problem, try this. Go to Start -> run, type "services.msc" and click OK. Locate the process named "Superfetch", right click, properties, and disable it. Now, reboot and see if your problem has gone away.

If you try this and it doesn't work, I'd be interested to know.

shradej1, Nov 25, 2009
  18. lasix1

WAW8

We have a pinned post for dealing with BSOD/Stop errors. You will need to read through that as every stop error is different.

Could be ... but we're not a Windows 7 forum, so you're unlikely to get any responses about that here on this forum.

WAW8, Nov 25, 2009
  19. lasix1

skijwr

Hey guys, thanks so much. This forum has been very helpful to me. I was having the same problem. I was down a total of 8 days. Finally got back to running normal, no problem for over a month.

Initially I was not patient, and when my system froze up, I forced a shutdown. Then after a few days of continued problems, I waited after system froze up, and got the same error code you all did. "Login process has failed to create the security options dialog. Failure - Security Options"

So I uninstalled my old AV, called F-secure, which I got from my internet provider, and I installed McAfee. I may have been running 2 firewalls in the past, can't remember. But funny thing, my original AV ran fine for 11 months. I made sure after reading this forum to only have 1 firewall, 1 AV, etc running. I disabled Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.

Thanks again.

skijwr, Dec 6, 2009
  20. lasix1

marcus1

Thanks for the tip re: turn off Superfetch. Seems to have fixed the trouble. Went through the other suggestions including disabling all start-up stuff to no avail. Don't think I'll miss superfetch - even if working properly. (Suspect the hard drive will appreciate a bit of a rest as well.)

marcus1, Jan 24, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question