Error Installing Clean Vista

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by alrasl, Aug 4, 2008.

1. alrasl

alrasl

<DIV id=post_message_77887>Tried to install Vista 64bit. I'm able to boot up Vista only when I put my DvD drive as first in the BIOS boot priority. Vista loads up, asks for CD-Key, asks me to select hd partition, and then when it starts to install i get this error:

Windows cannot access the required D:\sources\install.wim. Make sure all files required for intallation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x800701e7

I put the DvD into my old rig and searched for this file on the Vista DvD and it was found immediately. I made sure I installed the SATA drivers before trying to install, and that made no difference. I'm all out of ideas. I have my newly built computer all hooked up and ready to go, and can't install my OS... im about to freak out. Please - i need some help.

System Spec:

Mobo: Asus P5Q P45
    CPU: Intel E8400
    GPU: Asus EAH4850 (Asus version of the ATI 4850)
    RAM: Corsair Twin2x PC2-6400 DDR2 800 (4gb)
    HD: Seagate Barracuda 500gb SATA 3.0g/s
    DvD:Samsung 22x DvD Burner SATA
    PSU: Raidmax Aurora 2 600w

alrasl, Aug 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. alrasl

WAW8

I noticed you have 4GB, and most of the reports I saw of similar problems had 4GB or more of memory.

So, you're gonna have a good laugh about this (or maybe not ...) but I've read about countless situations where this has happened, and one of the very frequent fixes is to install Vista using 2GB or less memory. There have been lots of reports where trying to install with more memory already in the system encounters problems. Once installed, you can load up as much memory as you want.

Also, make sure you are NOT overclocking -- CPU or GPU. Have heard that Vista is very sensitive to memory timings during install.

Finally, as you discovered, you must have your BIOS set to read from DVD drive first (and in my experience, if you have multiple DVD drives, it must be the "first" one in the system), otherwise, it may not complete installation.

Ain't progress grand??

WAW8, Aug 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. alrasl

alrasl

I removed one of my ram sticks to scale back to 2gb. No overclocking has ever been done.

After fooling around with it for a long time. I got the install to begin working properly. Previously I would get the orginal error message (refer to op) immediately at the start of the "Expanding Files" part of the install. Now it started working fine, but then eventually crapped out around 65% and I got a new error message:

Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart installation. Error code: 0x80070570

alrasl, Aug 4, 2008
  4. alrasl

alrasl

Now I'm thinking it could be a HDD issue. A couple times the HDD was not recgonized when I would attempt another (of numerous) install, but a reboot would fix it. Finally, it stopped being recognized completely and perminately. Tried using multiple SATA cables and ports in case that would have been an issue, didn't help. The same cables and ports that the HDD would not work with, worked perfectly with my SATA dvd drive. Could this have been the cause to a seemingly unrelated error?

alrasl, Aug 5, 2008
  5. alrasl

WAW8

Are you installing Vista on a clean machine? Or are you installing Vista from inside XP?

Given that both your HDD and DVD are SATA, this really looks like a SATA driver issue. I know that Vista is supposed to come with SATA drivers, but you could try loading them at the beginning of the installation to see if that helps. You would have to locate the drives and copy them to diskette, USB stick, or CD to do that.

WAW8, Aug 5, 2008
  6. alrasl

alrasl

I took your advice and installed my own SATA drivers that came on the mobo cd, but no luck. The computer is still not recognizing the hdd, neither will my old pc. After this failed, I RMAed the drive. Hoping this solves my problem once I get a replacement in.

alrasl, Aug 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question