DVD driver needs to be reinstalled

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by silverhawk48, Jan 14, 2008.

1. silverhawk48

silverhawk48

I have a Compaq laptop C501NR. A Celeron M processor 1.7 Ghz with 2GB of ram.

The computer came with Vista basic installed, I upgraded to Vista Ultimate. I installed VMware server, didn't like it and removed it. Ever since, the DVD drive will not recognize any media that is inserted.I get a message asking if I want to format the media.

The driveis identified as TSST corp CDW/DVD TS-L462D ATA Device. It is original equipment.

I can get the drive working by deleting the drive in the device manager and letting the system re-install the drivers. It works untill the next reboot.

I've searched the registry for left over entries for VMware.

I'm stumped. Any help is appreciated.

thanks

silverhawk48, Jan 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. silverhawk48

WAW8

Since this appears to be a SATA DVD drive, my guess is that once you install the SATA driver, Vista shouldn't complain anymore. When you say it doesn't work on reboot, what does Device Manager indicate? Does it show unknown device?

WAW8, Jan 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. silverhawk48

WAW8

WAW8, Jan 15, 2008
  4. silverhawk48

silverhawk48

That'sthe goofy thing. The device manager doesn't show any problems. According to the device managerthe drive is working properly. There is no change in the device managerbefore or after the reboot.

I tried the advice that was in the link you supplied. It didn't make any difference.

I'll see about reinstalling the sata driver.

Thanks for the suggestions.

silverhawk48, Jan 16, 2008
  5. silverhawk48

Jason

My laptop did a similar thing where it always prompted to format the cd/dvd no matter what I put in. To get around it, I would just let it try to format...then it would fail...then I would right click the drive in my computer and go to "explore". I believe it is an autoplay problem.

Excellent Video on how to change auto play settings:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2084481_adjust-autoplay-settings-windows-vista.html

I'd try changing to to "Prompt Me" and see what happens when you put in a dvd/cd.

Jason, Jan 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question