Dual Screen Is Driving Me Nuts!!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Rich_Enduro, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Rich_Enduro

Rich_Enduro

hi,

sorry if this has been answered but i cannot get the search function to work,

anyway, when i connect my dell inspiron 1525 laptop (via hdmi)to my lcd tv, its a pain enough just getting it to dual screen with the sound coming from the telly but whenever i watch a video on the tv at full screen its fine until i touch anything on the keyboad and the video returns to a minimised window, this means i cannot watch anything streaming off the net on the telly whilst browsing facebook etc..... can anything be done? and does anyone know if windows 7 handles dual screen any better than vista?

cheers

Rich

Rich_Enduro, Sep 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Rich_Enduro

WAW8

Don't know what video card/chip you're using but if it's ATI or Nvidia, check to see that you have the latest drivers installing in Vista.

I know ATI comes with an app (Catalyst Control Center) that allows for finr-grained tuning of multiple displays. I suspect that Nvidia does the same.

As to Windows 7, ATI has dropped support for all but the newer HD3x and HD4x cards. So, if you have an ATI card and it's not one of those, you'll be stuck running an ATI "legacy" driver (Catalyst v9.3.1) in Compatibility mode. But, you'll still get all the standard features of CCC. Don't know about Nvidia's support in Windows 7 for older cards.

WAW8, Sep 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Rich_Enduro

Rich_Enduro

thanks for the help,

i have mobile intel (R) 965 express chipset family video processor. i think that means i don't have a separate graphics card?

i have updated my drivers from the dell website but this didn't solve the problem?

Rich_Enduro, Sep 2, 2009
  4. Rich_Enduro

WAW8

An onboard chipset might simply not have enough power and memory to run full-screen videos and do anything else. With a laptop, you're pretty much stuck with what you get.

There's usually an icon in the notification tray that you can click for Intel graphics that will open a panel that will allow you to do some fine tuning. If not there, check your program list to see if there's something there instead.

Apart from that, you're basically stuck.

WAW8, Sep 2, 2009
  5. Rich_Enduro

djarrum

This is not a question of processing Power, this is simply a matter of your video player reverting to windowed (all be it minimized mode) when you attempt to user other applications. Your Intel GPU should be able to handle full motion/full screen video without any performance issues, where Intel GPU's do fail miserably is 3D acceleration and gaming.

If you are attempting to watch streaming videos, chances are you are watching them on a proprietary player that operates as a bowser plug in such as Hulu's player. This player will not stay in full screen mode for me either when I attempt to do other things on my PC. If the player plugin you are using has a "pop-out" feature like Hulu, select it, and maximize the window. This basically keeps the player windowed mode whilst still giving you the same effect of full screen video.

Hope this helps.

djarrum, Sep 20, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question