dual OS, computer does not recognize other OS .help

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by quattro, Jul 3, 2007.

1. quattro

quattro

i had Windows XP & VISTA each on a separate hard drive, it was working properly until i formated drive C:\ and reinstalled XP now i cant bot in to VISTA there is no option to chose what OS i want to bot in to anymore only XP, but all files in drive D:\ are there VISTA OS files and program files everything this there, what did i do wrong.

its very urgent i need to login to vista i need your help.

quattro, Jul 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. quattro

WAW8

My guess is that you had XP installed first, and later, installed Vista. You probably also were being presented with a selection list of OS's with which you chose which to boot, right?

That's because when Vista is installed, it finds XP already in the system and modifies its boot loaded to include that. It then writes its boot files to the first primary partition it finds, in this case, it was the XP partition.

When you reinstalled XP, you blew away the boot loader files from your XP partition.

You have a couple of different options for fixing this:

1) Reboot using the Vista DVD, choose the Repair option. It will rewrite the boot loader files to the XP partition.

2) Download and install either VistaBootPro or EasyBCD, and install them to XP. Then, open either one and choose the options to restore the Vista boot loader.

WAW8, Jul 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. quattro

quattro

thanks, yes i had XP first then vista in the first time.

is the VISTA upgrade DVD bootable, i dont have a partition, XP is in one hard drive and VISTA is in another, will it work?

quattro, Jul 3, 2007
  4. quattro

cyclic

Yes it is bootable and yes it will work if you follow the instructions as posted.

You can actually copy Vista's boot files in the boot directory in vista's root but you'll have to display hidden system files first, but by the far the most straight forward method is the one detailed.

cyclic, Jul 3, 2007
  5. quattro

quattro

OMG, looooooooooool now its the other way around i cant bot into Windows XP this is what i did :

booted from VISTA DVD, selected startup repair then restated it did not work the first time, the second time it worked but now i can only bot into VISTA no option to chose OS !!!!

quattro, Jul 3, 2007
  6. quattro

kingofnexus

ROFL. There probably a simpler way that cyclic may know but you can try manually adding XP to the bootloader. Depend on how confident you are command line editing. Two topics that can help you are here (with basic info which should get it going) and here (with more indepth look which may help)

Like I said there is a probably an easier way but you can give it a go now. Startup repair is always there if you muck something up!

kingofnexus, Jul 3, 2007
  7. quattro

quattro

ok ill report back. thanks guys for your help .

quattro, Jul 3, 2007
  8. quattro

quattro

this is what i get when i type bcdedit:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]

Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

D:\Windows\system32>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager

--------------------

identifier {bootmgr}

device partition=C:

default {current}

displayorder {current}

timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader

-------------------

identifier {current}

device partition=D:

path \Windows\system32\winload.exe

description Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium (recovered)

osdevice partition=D:

systemroot \Windows

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

im sorry guys im not a pro on this what to do next?

quattro, Jul 3, 2007
  9. quattro

WAW8

Sorry, haven't used BCDEdit. If you'd rather not mess around with a command line version, download and install either VistaBootPro or EasyBCD. Either of this gives you a GUI-based tool for setting boot options.

WAW8, Jul 3, 2007
  10. quattro

quattro

ok i installed EasyBCD what should i do now im really new at this please help me throw .

:::::::Edited:::::::

all is good now EasyBCD was so easy to to use, but i have one more concern why is vista showing as "Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium (recovered) "

why recovered ?

quattro, Jul 3, 2007
  11. quattro

kingofnexus

Dunno, maybe cause you had used start up repair. Just change the name back to what it was and dont worry about it.

kingofnexus, Jul 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question