Dual booting Vista

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by coleco, May 19, 2007.

1. coleco

coleco

I'm sorry for this post. I am sure it has been answered a gazillion times but for some reason I can't exactly get a good handle on the answer. First off, I know I could install vista onto a nicely running XP comp if I want to install to a second drive or partition the current drive and install to a second partition. Then I would have the option at start up of choosing which drive/OS to use??

BUT.... do I have any of these options if my Windows Vista Home Premium says upgrade on it. If it is the upgrade disc and not full install I would guess the only thing that would happen when I start the comp with the Vista disc in is it automatically overwrites/formats the hard drive and then installs Vista. I am asking this because whenever I start the comp with the disc in, or run from within XP it looks like it is ready to install right away. I don't see options of where to install, which partition to choose, etc.

Finally for the third and last question I want to double check if it is possible to install the Vista into an external USB HD or do I have to do a bunch of stuff to get that to work.

Thanks for any replies. I do appreciate it.

Coleco

coleco, May 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. coleco

coleco

OOps. Sorry Im being very dumb today. This should be in installing section.

coleco, May 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question