Dual booting Vista and XP

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by WAW8, Feb 21, 2008.

1. WAW8

WAW8

There are two scenarios with dual booting a machine with both XP and Vista: (1) XP installed first, (2) Vista installed first.

The link below is to a set of detailed steps that will walk you through the process of setting up a dual-boot machine, where XP was installed first (and you're now installing Vista):

[url]http://apcmag.com/5023/dual_booting_xp_with_vista [/url]

The link below is also to a set of detailed steps that will walk you through the process of setting up a dual-boot machine, but in this case, where Vista was installed first (and you're now installing XP):

[url]http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp [/url]

WAW8, Feb 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. WAW8

curb08

i have vista installed first i want to dual boot with xp but on the same partition and use the same program files that are already installed with vista. I know its possible

curb08, Mar 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. WAW8

WAW8

As to whether you run dual boot with two OSs, both using the same partition? The answer is NO. Dual boot requires separate partitions. That's what it means -- two OS's, each in its own partition; not two OS's in one partition.

Vista only allows for two kinds of installations -- upgrade and clean-install. Upgrade actually reformats the drive, copies off all the XP-related stuff, installs Vista, and copies the XP-related stuff back, storing it in a windows.old directory. Maybe that's what you mean by using the same partition.

But you still end up with only one working OS -- Vista. The XP OS is squirreled away and will not run. You have the option of restoring XP, but then, you will have only XP, not Vista.

Of course, you can also use a "virtualization" solution to install one OS in a virtual partition inside the other. Examples of such products are Virtual PC 2007 and VMWare. Perhaps this what you mean by using the same partition. But this is not a dual-boot situation, and discussing it should be in a different post, not this one.

WAW8, Mar 3, 2008
  4. WAW8

Guamani

This is my scenario. My old XP PC "crashed" (it crashed against my feet while I was kikching it...) But it really was giving some problems with the video card. After the "incident" I tried to repair it but was not sucessfull. So I bought a new one with vista. I needed to recover the data in my old drives so initially I tried to boot the Vista PCfrom the XP hard disk, by indicating which drive to boot from throug setup. It did not work. My idea was to remove the passwords to freely ascess all the data.So I did try again to start up my old XP pc and was able to get it to work (only on safe mode) and remover some passwords. Then installed them on the vista system and copied the data. But still could not get some data, like My Documents. While doing this I had to "take ownership" of some folders from my XP hard disk, while ascessing them in Vista.

Now, my questions are: First (and this one is not related to the post) Now I want towork again on the XP system, but after "taking ownership" on vista, these foldersare no longer availablein XP. I read that you can "reverse ownership" but that was on XP. Is there a way to do it on Vista?

And now, related to the post. How could I perform a Dual Boot with thisXP OS that is allready installed in the old Hard Disk? I,ve seen that it can be done by partitioning the HD in Vista and reinstalling XP on that new partition. But how about having it allready installed on a hard disk, as most people might have?

Guamani, Apr 10, 2008
  5. WAW8

Guamani

Oh, nobody replies.

I tried a guide "Install Windows XP on Your Pre-Installed Windows Vista Computer."

It seems that my XP is so old it will not work. What you suggest?

Guamani, Apr 13, 2008
  6. WAW8

stealth94rt

What about this situation...

I have Vista 64-bit installed on original hard drive.

I purchased a 2nd hard drive that I want to use for the Windows XP Pro installation. Therefore, each OS will be on a separate hard drive.

Which procedure do I follow for that scenario? Please advise. Thank you.

stealth94rt, Sep 23, 2009
  7. WAW8

WAW8

Actually, I would use neither approach because each assumes only one drive.

My recommendation is to do the following:

1) Disconnect the Vista drive

2) Boot from the XP CD, with the XP-candidate drive connected, and install on that drive

3) Reconnect the Vista drive and boot from that

4) Download easyBCD from the NeoSmart Technology forums and install that in the Vista OS.

5) Use EasyBCD to add an entry to the Vista boot loader for XP. They have tutorials on the NST forums on how to do that.

This approach allows you to boot each drive individually -- should the need arise to do a startup repair on either drive -- because it doesn't hose up the MBR on either drive.

WAW8, Sep 24, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question