Dual boot vista/xp - How to share system folders between both installs?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by indie, Oct 24, 2006.

1. indie

indie

Hi, I have a dual boot between Vista RC1 and XP-Pro SP2. I need to be able to better access files between the two installs, "My Documents, Desktop, etc folders" and am having trouble figuring out how to do this.

Changing ownership half worked, it allowed me access to the files and directories, but when booting back to the other major problems and a quick change of ownership back to the original. I guess the ideal would be to have either one administrator user that is recognized on both installs, or one user on each with permissions for the directories on the other.

The conundrum is, to do this I think I need to add the Vista Admin User while booted in XP, and vice versa, and of course it fails to recognize them from the other (something about XP-Sid vs Vista-Sid in the ACL's??? Beyond me at this point and I'm probably getting that wrong).

I'm guessing my third option would be to forego stashing things in the \Documents and Settings\ structure at all, and use a third data partition that *should* be easier to access from both. Inconvenient, and I certainly won't/can't duplicate all my data for each install.

Any help would be very appreciated. :)

---Indie

indie, Oct 24, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. indie

doghucat

I am running XP Hone and Vista RC2 ultimate and have no problem transfering or looking at any file on any of the operating systems but on Vista from the beginning of the builds I always go and activate the administrator that is disabled and only use that account with full privilage's no uaw popup or any problems doing anything you want in Vista but I would not recommend this for every user without some knowledge of the systems.

doghucat, Oct 25, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question