Dual Boot Vista - Linux

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Microsft Desabused, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Microsft Desabused

Microsft Desabused

After successfully installing a dual boot of PCLinux OS on my laptop running MS Vista Home Edition and playing with it (Linux) for a while, I rebooted my laptop.

Everything went fine, I was able to choose MS Vista in the GRUB boot menu.

Vista started fine...looking good looking good.

THEN....some weird thing happened in Vista, I had problems with my Windows Explorer, problems with detecting my external hard drive.

I rebooted and then....CRASH!!!! WITHOUT MY AGREEMENT, VISTA STARTED TO SLICE AND DICE THE GRUB START-UP MENU AND GAVE ME THAT F*CKING SCREEN!!!

You know what? If Microsoft can't tolerate other Operating System. Why don't they design themselves a new one???? Hey Bill? Never thought about creating another OS in parallel of Windows??? It never occured to you that the best way to control it's competitors is to create them instead???

I'm switching back to XP...Vista is the worst thing that happened since the appearance of "Plug & Pray" systems...

Microsft Desabused, Apr 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Microsft Desabused

WAW8

Actually they are. It's coming out in 2010 to replace Vista.

As for Vista trashing GRUB -- must be something you did. I've been running a multi-boot system for over nine months now, including XP and Ubuntu 7.10, and I've never had Vista or XP trash anything in GRUB.

But what is it they say -- your mileage may vary.

WAW8, Apr 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Microsft Desabused

howejustin

Weird, I've also been dual booting Ubuntu 7.1 with Vista and have had no problems. Just recently deleted the Ubuntu partitions then repaired the BootSect stuff to make sure SP1 had no probs (which it is) but yeah, must be something in your config.

howejustin, Apr 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question