Dual Boot on Vista and XP with Travelmate 5720 problem

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by fasabado, Jul 12, 2007.

1. fasabado

fasabado

Hi to all,

I have an Acer TravelMate 5720 and I want to install XP on it but it wont let me,there are no hardrives detected whe I tried XP install, I also tried to dual boot with Vista installe first, I was able to install vista but when installing XP same problem came up, I even tried installingXPinside vista butvista is blocking it.Is anyone knows the solution can you please help me?

Thank you.

fasabado, Jul 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. fasabado

WAW8

OK, this came with Vista installed, right? Since the specs claim it uses a SATA drive, undoubtedly, the SATA drivers were installed when the image was made. My guess is that XP doesn't see your drive because, when you boot from the XP CD, it isn't loading the correct SATA drivers for your hard drive.

What you would need to do is find out what make and model drive is installed, and get the XP SATA drivers, copy them to diskette, and load them as part of the XP install. It's been a long time since I did an XP installation (perhaps some of the other moderators can help here with the details), but essentially, you would press a function key when you're trying to install XP and load the disk drivers, from the diskette you created.

Of course, if you then dual-boot with XP, once you complete the XP installation, it will overwrite the MBR with its own boot info and you won't see Vista anymore as a boot option. So, you'll then be faced with getting Vista boot back -- another problem to handle.

WAW8, Jul 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. fasabado

fasabado

First of all thank you so much for your attention.
    Yep! came with vista, tried reformatting and xp fresh install too but didn't work, tried calling manufacturer and they only support OS that came with it which is vista. I can't find driver for may sata drive, the hardrive is seagate Momentus 5400.3 ST9160821AS 160 gb - sata-150, I'll post the link if I found one.

thank you.

fasabado, Jul 13, 2007
  4. fasabado

kingofnexus

The sata drivers aren't linked to your hard drive. You need to go to your motherboard manufacturers webiste and download the sata drivers that are required for your motherboards chipset. Thats how I understand how it works anyway.

Dont have time to research what motherboard you have atm, i'll have a look later if you dont end up finding the drivers first.

kingofnexus, Jul 13, 2007
  5. fasabado

bigbib

Hello

I have exactly the same problem. I havent been able to find any appropiate drivers. Was you able to resolve this problem.... I would be interested in hearing from you. Thanks

bigbib, Aug 2, 2007
  6. fasabado

WAW8

Go to the following ACER FTP site:

ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/notebook/travelmate_5720/driver

Download the Chipset Intel 965 XP zip file. That will have the chipset drivers you need for the 5720 under XP. Expand the ZIP file onto a diskette. You will now have the chipset drivers on diskette -- which you can then use to install XP.

In fact, it would probably be useful for you to download all the XP driver files; that way, you will have a full set of XP drivers.

WAW8, Aug 3, 2007
  7. fasabado

gondor

Hello,

have the same problem, just one step further. By F6function i got the sata driver loaded. But now it wants the Intel Matrix Storage Driver diskette. I have downloaded that and made a diskette following the instructions. Now it wont react when i have the diskette inserted (a:) and i try to press enter.

What is wrong? Please help.

thx.

G.

gondor, Aug 4, 2007
  8. fasabado

dannis

I have the problem too.

I think that XP starting install and copy driver to the hd it lost the floppy. so it can not found sata driver.

I will ask for another usb fdd tomorrow. and try it.

if any one install success, please tell me how to or give me the ghost image thanks.

I have try skip copy the driver into hd. and it can install until windows restart and fail to load sata driver.

so i think if i can copy into the windows system folder i maybe install success. bu i do not know how to do.

Why new notebook want to use vista default? the vista is not suitable many application.

so i can not use vista for my job.

another point. i can not find the function i want in the vista even those have pretty look like.

dannis, Sep 5, 2007
  9. fasabado

wfmk

I have exactly the same problem :(

I have an Acer Aspire 5720, and would dearly love to go back to XP. I have trawled the web with no success.

Please let me know if you have had any success.

wfmk, Oct 22, 2007
  10. fasabado

jakey_too

I successfully loaded XP Family Edition on Acer Aspire 5720.

Not easy to find drivers, but I figured it out in the end:

Acer Pan-Am site has XP Drivers:

http://www.acerpanam.com/flex/acerdrivers/bin/drivers.html?CFID=4394128&CFTOKEN=56207662

Only problem I had with these was figuring out which set of drivers to use for the web cam (it turns out it does not matter much, but do not install more than 1 set - of the 4 versions on the Acer site - or there is a conflict that causes XP to hang on shutdown - took ages for me to find).

I started with a completely clean formatted HDD, with no Vista residue.

I used the Intel utility f6flpy32.zip from:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...&OSFullName=Windows* XP Home Edition&lang=eng

to make a floppy disk to load SATA drivers for F6 Windows install.

A completely straightforward Windows install, plus a bit of tidying up otf drivers was all that was necessary (although I went around the houses to get there).

Hope this helps.

jakey_too, Oct 28, 2007
  11. fasabado

asdeane

Like many people who have experienced this problem, the solution is easy.

Steps.

1. F2 or ( alternative ) to enter BIOS

2. Change the SATA AHCI mode to IDE Mode for SATA

Job done, restart Acer, Toshiba etc with XP CD loaded, drivers will now be found and Hard Disk detected.

Good luck.

BTW, this works perfectly for me and have never had an issue as all our entertainment systems developed work only with XP presently and not sure when we'll port over to Vista if at all, likely will be Linux.

Asdeane

asdeane, Nov 20, 2007
  12. fasabado

paller

jakey_too:

"Only problem I had with these was figuring out which set of drivers to use for the web cam (it turns out it does not matter much, but do not install more than 1 set - of the 4 versions on the Acer site - or there is a conflict that causes XP to hang on shutdown - took ages for me to find)."

Thanks, jakey_too for pointing this problem out. I had been struggling with a nasty XP shutdown problem on a TravelMate 6292 and yes, the reason was that somehow the webcam program was installed twice (visible in Add/remove software list).

I tried everything possible but somehow the innocent-looking webcam driver avoided my attention. :-(

paller, Jan 13, 2008
  13. fasabado

labukh

Hi,

I've read a review on the amazon website saying that: "DO NOT REFORMAT your HD as the previous reviewer suggests. You cannot uninstall the Acer software because Acer notebooks need ePower to run for the fan to be controlled. If you don't have ePower active the notebook will overheat (this fact is confirmed by Acer technical support). This also means that your computer will run slow (ePower is a resource hog) and you have to use Windows Vista plus Acer ePower and there are no versions for Windows XP or Linux/Ubuntu."

Can anyone confirm or disconfirm that? Thank you

labukh, Jan 17, 2008
  14. fasabado

StefanCelMare

Managed to dual boot myself on an Acer Travelmate 5720G.

A few words before I begin:

My laptop came with Vista Home installed on C: and I also had another NTFS partition (E:).

Before you start, do the Acer e-recovery "Factory default disc" (I needed two blank dvds).

Also, it is smart to do the "Create driver and application backup disk" (1 DVD).

Also, I went to the Acer download page, and downloaded all drivers, for XP and Vista for this model, and the applications. WARNING: this step is very recomended, but know that the whole pack is pretty big, a bit over 1Gb and its coming with a max of 60kBps. I had double bandwith so I downloaded two drivers/apps constantly, to shorten the time.

If you need to do the install quickly, I recommend you download the lan drivers for xp. But even if you do this only, you'll need to download all the drivers when in XP, so better do it now that you have a working OS (Vista).

To get to work:

First you need to make a WIN XP CD that can see your hard-drive. I used nlite (see link below)to add the sata drivers (go to the link and select F6 Intel SATA HDD Driver Floppy utility) and the IntelĀ® Matrix Storage Manager.

In the two links above you will find two .exe files that you need to run on a computer with a floppy drive. You insert an empty disk in the floppy and after the install is over, copy all the files from the created floppy disk to a separate directory on your hard drive. Then you use nlite. Copy the Win XP CD on your drive, and select that location when you start nlite. After you choose the directory with XP in nlite, click next till you see the "Task selection" table. There you select from "Integrate" - "Drivers" and from "Create" - "Bootable ISO" (when selected,the red spots become green). Then hit next and on the new screen "Insert" - "Multiple driver folder" - go to the directory where SATA driver is first (the one copied from the floppy earlier - it should have some .inf files in it). Hit OK and then select the path that appears and click OK again. In the new window select all the options (using shift not ctrl as it propmpts). Let "textmode driver" option checked. Then click OK. Then Insert again and do the same thing with the matrix storage manager driver. Then click next - "apply changes" - ok, etc. It will add the drivers to the XP install. Then click next and in new windows that appears select for "General" - "Mode" - "direct burn". Insert an empty cd and click "Burn" (Do not click next untill you burn the cd). Voooila you have a valid xp setup, that worked at least in my case - it saw the hard drive (which it previousley did not see) and installed xp flawlessly, with the restart booting directly to XP.

Once in XP:

I installed all drivers and applications from the Acer site (for XP).

!Attention: install only one driver for the webcam (there are 3 on the site). People say it will crash XP if you install more then one.

Restarted twice, once after all the drivers were installed, then after the apps were installed. Restart with no fear, it will boot to win xp.

From here, it gets a little tricky.

You need to recover the vista boot.

Following advice on a forum I don't have a link to, I tried to copy the vista boot files to the xp partition. I'm not sure if this helped at all, cause after I did all the steps and restarted, I DID NOT see the dual boot menu. But I did it, and it may have helped?

My advice is skip this part, but if the rest does not work and you're desperate here it is:

a) in XP go to folder options and enable "see hidden files" si "show protected operating system files"

b) then copy from the vista partition, from the "Boot" folder the fol

StefanCelMare, Jan 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question