Dual boot issue

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by ramman949, Aug 29, 2007.

1. ramman949

ramman949

Hey all,

I recently enabled RAID on my system with 2 brand new 250GB drives. I partitioned the drives into 3 partitions each about 155GB each. I then installed XP and assigned it the 1st partition. XP called it the C drive. The other partitions were automatically called D and E once in XP.

I then installed Vista WITHIN XP and choose the second partition "D" as XP reported it to be. Vista installed fine, but once booted up (dual boot), vista reports itself as installed on drive D. Shouldn't Vista automatically rename its drive to C? And XP would be on drive D? and the open partition left for E while IN vista?

A friend of mine has XP and Vista dual booted and his rig and when in XP, the XP drive is C. When he is booted in Vista, then Vista is drive C. And either of the OS's drop to drive D depending on which OS he is booted into.

I wonder if the way I installed Vista though XP has anything to do with this?

Anyone?

Thank you.

ramman949, Aug 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. ramman949

cyclic

See if I understand this, you booted to XP and then inserted the Vista DVD and started a clean install of Vista on a new partition? It didn't tell you that it was upgrading from XP which would no longer be avilable and if you wanted a clean install of Vista you need to boot to the DVD, I don't understand how you have done this.

On a lighter note, perhaps, I personally don't care what drive letter is assigned to the booted system as I can't see it makes any difference, but if you want to change it try using VistabootPro to change things around.

cyclic, Aug 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. ramman949

kingofnexus

I'm a person where C: is either XP or Vista depending on whether you have booted into xp of vista repectively.

Many people have a permanent C: and D: like you have.

Makes no difference what so ever. If anything i'd prefer your situtation as it would make altering boot sequence a heck of a lot less confusing.

kingofnexus, Aug 30, 2007
  4. ramman949

cyclic

Using a dual or multi system the only thing I insist on is that my other partitions and evn optical drives keep the same letters, mostly for gaming but as you can change the drive letter in Vista it's no problem, so all the games I had on drive E: before Vista ended up on drive H: so I changed it, exported all the relevant reg items in XP then added them in Vista and voila whichever OS I use everything's the same, I even have a smallish partition specifically for Temp internet, cookies and History so no matter which OS I am using at the moment all that stuff is up to date and saves having 2 lots of it, oh yes and a mail store folder too. There's efficient for you.

cyclic, Aug 30, 2007
  5. ramman949

ramman949

Thanks for the help guys.

Just to clarify, I installed XP on one of 3 partitions I have on a RAID setup. XP assigned itself the C drive (as normal). Once XP was up and running. I THEN installed Vista while IN XP. Meaning I put the Vista DVD in my DVD drive, ran the setup and installed VISTA to the "D" partition (2nd partition on my RAID setup). Vista installed fine. And dual boot feature works great.

After reading about dual boot on the internet, I came across many whom explained that on there dual boot setups, whatever OS they boot to, will mark whatever partition they install it to, as the C drive.

Kinda like this....

XP booted up on 3 partition raid

C= windows

D= Vista

E= Storage

Vista booted up on the same 3 partition raid

C= Vista

D= XP

E= storage

But mine does it differently. Regardless of what OS I have booted up. XP is always C and Vista is always D. And no boot manager program I have found will let me change the Vista drive letter. All of them programs say, can not change letter on boot drive.

And its not so much that I really care, since everything works. But I do have one small issue. While in Vista. Sometimes some of the programs I try to install will automatically want to point to the C:/Program Files which is the XP program folder. Not all of them do this. In fact 98% of them install correctly to Vista program folder on the D drive. But a few have tried to go to the C drive.

I agree that the way I have it now, does make dual boot editing much easier and less confusing. But Im just bothered by programs trying to go the normal C:/Programs files... rather than were there spos to while Im in Vista.

Thanks all!

ramman949, Aug 30, 2007
  6. ramman949

cyclic

o problem installers look for the 'windir' and comspec listings in the registry which is where they pick up the drive letter, no installer will assume you want to install to C: if your running an OS on D: or the otherway round.

cyclic, Aug 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question