Dual Boot Anyone?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Jason, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Jason

kingofnexus

I'm currently dual booting XP MCE and Vista x64, My primary reason was because vista boot loader appeared whether i had XP installed or not. (When I first installed Beta 2, I wiped the HD, and installed Vista. However on startup, the vista boot loader appeared. If i selected 'Previous Version of Windows' I got an error message like 'ntosomething' was missing. Which wasn't surprisng since Vista was the only thing there!) So, I thought what the hell, and partitioned my HD so I have both Vista and XP on. Wouldn't have bothered otherwise. NOw readeing previous posts (Jason's) i see its hard to get the boot loader to appear! When I first installed Vista I just installed to a blank HD, nothing to it, then second time, I had installed XP first, then installed Vista from the CD on boot, not through XP.

kingofnexus, Sep 19, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

Uifz

Hi Guys. I just installed RC2 under a new partition under the C drive. And then I didn't upgrade I just installed it into this new partition. However I can't seem to get the screen at the beginning everyone is talking about where you can choose from Legacy and Vista mode. I have XP Media Center installed on the other partition. I tried reading other comments, but I don't quite understand it. Any help would be greatly apperciated!

Uifz, Sep 24, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

G.D.T

I am!

G.D.T, Sep 24, 2006
  4. Jason

bmkmelb

I do as well however I used Partition Magic Ver8 and use the PQboot option. BootMagic doesn't support NFTS all that well unles you can make a logical partition below the 8GB boundary.

bmkmelb, Sep 28, 2006
  5. Jason

bindasan

i am novice. Could you please guide me what to do after i load vista home premium. i want xp pro to load in a partion i created when loading vista from a recovery disc.

Lot of my old application is not working with my new sony laptop

bindasan, Feb 14, 2007
  6. Jason

concord

vistas will overwrite windows if you let it. you have to instal Vista in a separate partition or a separate drive for it to dual boot. You cannot succesfully have two OS programs in the same partition.

concord, Feb 14, 2007
  7. Jason

VistaRocks

You shouldinstall XP on a partition first then install VISTA on a separate partition after.

VistaRocks, Feb 14, 2007
  8. Jason

concord

Go to the vista help and support tab on the start up panel IE click start/help and support then type in to the top space boot.ini then when a menu comes up choose what happened to boot ini and it will tell you what you want to know. Or just try typing in dual booting.

Please note all that most of the answers are in the help and support files and are easy to follow. I have solved most of my problems in vista and windows XP like this. Many people never even think of looking there

concord, Feb 14, 2007
  9. Jason

spartacus1875

from what i make of this post, it appears that he already has vista installed on his machine but now wants to add xp on aswell.

From what i can make out, your in a sticky wicket, there is no way off putting xp on second, the older os has to be installed first, then you have to installthe newer os second.

I am in the same situation, as i have just bought a new laptop with vista installed on it and i have to now put xp on as the primary os then install vista onto a second partition.

spartacus1875, Feb 14, 2007
  10. Jason

sripriya_sn

hi All

I have vista installed in one partition. can i install XP in the same partition with dual boot option. i dont have ample space in other partitions. can anyone help me?

Thanks

sripriya_sn, Jun 20, 2007
  11. Jason

cyclic

Simple answer no you can't, rule is one partition for one OS . You could divide the current partition to create 2 primaries and reinstall one to each, oldest first then the latest which will create a boot menu for you so you don't need to muck about with any boot managers\loaders.

Personally I prefer each to be on it's own physical hard drive.

cyclic, Jun 20, 2007
  12. Jason

WAW8

Dual-booting with XP after Vista, as cyclic has pointed out, will involve customization on your part. If XP is already there, a Vista install will find it, overwite the MBR, create a boot menu, and establish itself as the default OS -- whether you want it to or not.

When you install XP second, it will overwrite the MBR and install itself as default, but unlike Vista, will not present a boot menu where you can choose Vista.

To do that, as cyclic put it, you will have to mess around with boot managers. You can download and install EasyBCD or VistaBootPro to assist in that effort, but there's still customization that you have to do on your own.

WAW8, Jun 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question