Drivers not loading

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Lubbeelou, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Lubbeelou

Lubbeelou

I don't know whether this is the relevant section because my problem includes several things..

Anyway... I have Windows Vista 32-bit operating system service pack 2 (don't know whether you need that info)

It keeps crashing and showing me the BSoD! It's not only a pain but I have my final uni project deadline next week so this is stopping me from getting it done.

I have scanned the PC using Avast on boot up which has eliminated viruses etc.
    After that it still crashed. I tried a system restore but it keeps telling me there are no restore points. Windows Update won't actually update anything, this has been happening for a while.

I found a message on this forum which suggests that I boot-up and F8 and choose the boot logging. I've looked at the 'ntbtlog'... I have a lot of drivers that 'did not load' which I think I am supposed to delete but I don't know how to do this without the computer crashing again. Unless I can do this in safe mode?

I don't really know much about computers, I've had a similar problem before but I (thought I'd) fixed it, it all started after trying to update AVG!

I hope someone can help, if you need any more info just let me know :D
    Thanks in advance

Lubbeelou, Mar 9, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Lubbeelou

WAW8

Unless the message you are getting is IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL, my guess would be that it's NOT a driver problem that is causing the BSODs.

Problem is, that said, it could be practically anything else.

The first thing you need to do is write down the Stop Code you're getting with the BSOD. If your PC is rebooting too fast to do that, Go into System Properties --> Advanced Tab and under Startup and Recovery settings, System Failure, uncheck the Automatically restart box.

Next time you get a BSOD, the PC will not reboot -- giving you time to copy down some details.

WAW8, Mar 9, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Lubbeelou

Lubbeelou

Ok, I'll do that. I haven't had the BSoD since I posted this here so I'm just going to cary on with my work and will copy the details when it happens again.

I did manage to get some info before

"STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
    The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000006 (0x753ce90e 0x0900efb8)
    The system has been shutdown."

I took a photo and the "0xc0000006" part was cut off at the beginning so I'm not sure that's exactly right

Lubbeelou, Mar 9, 2011
  4. Lubbeelou

Lubbeelou

I've just had the BSoD, the first time since I posted here and it seems to have happened after I tried to run windows update.

It seems bad but I have no idea what any of that means except for the blue!

Lubbeelou, Mar 9, 2011
  5. Lubbeelou

Lubbeelou

I loaded up my computer this morning and it crashed pretty much straight and I got a different error message this time:

Lubbeelou, Mar 10, 2011
  6. Lubbeelou

WAW8

Sorry ... we used to have Pinned Posts in the old forum SW, and one of them dealt with diagnosing Stop codes.

I personally don't have the availability to hunt down details for individual stop codes, perhaps others here can help in that respect.

Otherwise, your best bet is to Google on the Stop code and see what is recommended for fixing it. But, I'll warn you in advance, there tends to be no simple fix for ANY of the Stop codes.

WAW8, Mar 10, 2011
  7. Lubbeelou

Lubbeelou

Thanks anyway :) I've been googling the codes and there is no 'simple' way to fix it.

I've spoken to my Dad and he said for me to take laptop next time I go home, I really didn't want to have to pay for it to be fixed but if it solves the problem then I will have to. Hopefully I'll be able to get some tips from whoever fixes it for me just in case it happens again

Lubbeelou, Mar 10, 2011
  8. Lubbeelou

WAW8

Just be aware that, when service department "fix" a PC, it's often common practice for them to wipe the drive of its existing contents. So, before you take it to someone, you should do an image backup of your PC. You can download the free version of Macrium Reflect, install that to the PC, and image the PC off to an external drive or to DVDs -- I recommend an external drive. Also, create and burn the MR Boot CD. It allows you to restore from that saved image if needed.

WAW8, Mar 10, 2011
  9. Lubbeelou

Lubbeelou

I was planning on backing up all of my files anyway because I don't want to lose anything. Thanks for the advice.

Lubbeelou, Mar 10, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question