Drivers for Maxtor Diamond 17 G160EO

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by pilgrim9, Jun 28, 2008.

1. pilgrim9

pilgrim9

Can someone help? I am unable to get the drivers for the Maxtor HD, try Maxtor wbsite but they don't provide them. When I ask Vista to provide the drivers it comes back stating that there is a problem. I re-installed Vista 32 Home Premiun but to no avail. I am running the Maxtor as an external HD, it was working well until Trojans demanded a re-format of the C drive. Motherboard is A8N-SLI Premiun, please

pilgrim9, Jun 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. pilgrim9

WAW8

That's because there aren't any external hard disk drivers. The drives are for the interface, in this case, probably a USB interface, and those drivers come built into Vista. Thus, Maxtor is going to tell you they don't have drivers -- which is correct for external drives.

What "problem" are you getting from Vista? Some details would help.

WAW8, Jun 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. pilgrim9

pilgrim9

Hi. thanks for your reply. I installed the Maxtor HD in the computer but Vista does not install or have not the drivers. On the Device Manager the HD is recognised with the yellow question mark. When Vista is asked to install the drivers I got the reply " Windows unable to install did no find software" followed by " system can not find file specified". I have tried the two options 1.- Search automatically for updated driver software" and 2.- searching windows/system32\ drivers and driverssoftware. both fail to come up with the drivers. Really don't know what to do. Maxtor/seagate website does not provide the drivers. any idea

thanks again

pilgrim9, Jun 30, 2008
  4. pilgrim9

WAW8

I don't understand what you are trying to do ...

You said you hooked up the Maxtor as an external drive -- which worked OK. But then, your internal drive got corrupted due to viruses, and then you reinstalled your internal drive?

Or are you trying to reinstall Vista using the new Maxtor as the internal drive?

WAW8, Jun 30, 2008
  5. pilgrim9

pilgrim9

Hi. My apologies for the apparent confusion. I was running the SATA Maxtor as an external drive till the viruses messed up the computer. My internal HD's are a seagate and a hitachi (both IDE) which are working fine. When I reformatted the HD it was the Seagate which I use as the C Drive.

I re-intalled Vista Home premiun and since then it does not recognised the Maxtor. I downloaded all the Vista updates and I ran DriverMagic to get all the latest drivers.

Last weekend I connected the Maxtor directly to the motherboard now as an internal drive but as I suggested previously Vista comes up with the message that it does not have the drivers. The Maxtor is highlighted on the device manager windows with the ? yellow mark. I tried Maxtor/Seagate website for the drivers and searching the internet for them, so far no luck.

pilgrim9, Jul 1, 2008
  6. pilgrim9

WAW8

OK, sorry for the confusion on my part. Good news is that I now understand your problem. Bad news is that there is no apparent fix for it. We have received lots of reports of folks being unable to use their external drives connected via USB. Not just Maxtors are affected; this also includes the WD Passport drives. We have other threads dealing with this problem -- and they don't have a guaranteed solution, either.

When you reinstalled Vista, did you reinstall from scratch? If so, there may be some hope if you upgrade to SP1. That was supposed to include some patches for the USB driver problems.

WAW8, Jul 1, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question