Drive Imaging of Vista Home OS - Advice needed

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Tim036, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Tim036

Tim036

For years I've used Drive Image to creat a single file of the OS, so that if the hard disk dies I can recover easily.

It has been invaluable and saved a good few 'incidents' from becoming full blown disasters!

I always keep application data on a seperate partition which I back up to DVD every so often.

Now I know MS have 'recovery' strategies but I like 'rock' solid third part tools that always work.

I've no idea what little jokes might exist scattered on the hard drive by Vista.

Anyone got any ideas on what is proven to work for an easy recovery from a total hard crash ?

(Bit by bit cloning of hard drive to hard drive is a very expensive solution and 'G4L' does work a treat for that)

Any comments very welcome.

:)

Tim

Tim036, Dec 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Tim036

GoldenGoose

Acronis Home V 11 is a good tool. I use it regularly. I recently purchased a 500 GB My Book from Western Digital that has it's own Back Up program included.. That works quite well also.

GoldenGoose, Dec 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Tim036

WAW8

Also use Acronis True Image. V11 is available now but you can still get V10 -- both work with Vista.

If you're a Symantec fan, you should take a look at Norton Ghost 12. From what I've read, it's a major improvement over version 10. The one drawback I discovered with NG 12 is that you can't run backups from the boot CD; you actually have to install the product.

WAW8, Dec 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question