- dragging folder/file does NOT create shortcut -

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by glennn.php, Jul 5, 2008.

1. glennn.php

glennn.php

<DIV class=postcolor id=post-266046>i've just reinstalled Vista, as an upgrade this time (over XP) - now whenever i drag a folder (or program) from one folder to the next, as in to the Favorites side of Explorer, it's not creating a shortcut like it's supposed to - it's taking the whole thing with it. if i drag a program to the Quick Launch bar (like Dreamweaver) it does the same thing - copies the program instead of creating a shortcut.

???

help???

Thanks,
    GN </DIV>

glennn.php, Jul 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. glennn.php

kingofnexus

Try 'sfc /scannow' in command prompt. It will scan for registry errors. Uprgrading from XP is always a bad idea - vista rarely works 100% after it. Best thing to do is use your upgrade disc to reformat and do a fresh install of vista (without a serial number) then installing again over the fresh install with your serial number. This way you've 'upgraded' a blank copy of vista - 100% error free.

kingofnexus, Jul 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. glennn.php

Alejandrosv

Windows chooses what it thinks is what you want to do when draging and droping.

For example, if you drag a file or folder to anoter place within the same disk, it will always move it. If you drag the sime file/folder to a place in a diferent disc it will copy it. and if you drag and drop to the quicklaunch bar, it will create a shortcut.

This is what it normaly does, but when ever possible you should tell windows exactly what you want so that it doesn't make mistakes. to do this us the control and shift keys when draging and droping. they go as fallows:

Control = copy

Shift = move

Control + Shift = shortcut

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it might help in the short term.

Alejandrosv, Jul 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question