Does Vista support LPT1 ?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by sf44, Mar 18, 2008.

1. sf44

sf44

This is a long-shot on a possible solution to a stubborn problem. We've got a LaserJet 4250 on a wireless home network. It's being driven by an *XP* computer via LPT1. Printer works perfectly with our XP computers but I can't get our one Vista laptop to recognize it. What we get is an error msg saying "Cannot access printer--access denied."

Both computers *do* seem to be working on the network--they can transfer files and see each others' public or shared folders--so it doesn't seem to be an RF problem. And the Vista machine has its own LJ driver installed.

In any case I installed the fix for XP computers that enables Vista computers to recognize 'em on a network--no help. Have tried 30 variations of "add printer", following various how-to's from both Microsoft and users--no luck.

Yesterday I read a comment that Vista did NOT support LPT1. That strikes me as pretty unlikely, but then again I wouldn't have thought Micro$oft would have released such a buggy piece of c**p as Vista appears to be, judging by the number and wide range of reported crashes, no-workies and other bugs.

Anybody know if Vista does support LPT1? And has anyone had a similar experience with a Vista m/c not being able to network w/ a printer installed on an XP machine? Thanks.

sf44, Mar 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. sf44

WAW8

I'm not aware that Vista removed support for LPT ports, and have even read posts from folks that were able to install their printers using parallel ports. But the real challenge is getting printer drivers that will work in Vista.

Let me check my other Vista machine to see if they even show parallel ports in device manager. My tablet PC does not, but it's a newer machine and doesn't actually have a parallel port.

WAW8, Mar 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question