Do I have issue on my laptop? or not?

Discussion in 'Security' started by shankar.ish, Apr 27, 2010.

1. shankar.ish

shankar.ish

I recently had an ATAPI.SYS rootkit on my laptop which I got cleared off. Yesterday when I opened my laptop, i got this message "Windows needs to install driver software for your ATA Device. I wanted to know if this has something to do with ATAPI.SYS rootkit. Please help.

shankar.ish, Apr 27, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. shankar.ish

WAW8

There's really no way to know for sure -- but given the sophisitication of today's malware writers, it's an easy thing for them to cloak the installation of malware behind a screen that appears to be legitimate.

In my experience, there are only two times to allow the installation of driver updates:

1) First couple of days after installing or upgrading the OS. This is when Windows Update will search for current drivers.

2) When installing new hardware. In this case, always use the driver that comes with the hardware and only go to the manufacturer's site to get update.

I had my system trashed a couple of years ago because I had automatic updates turned on and Vista installed an IDE disk drive controller update -- which, as it turned out, was NOT an update at all. I had to reinstall my system and restore my data from backup.

So, as much as you can, you need to find out where this update came from. If it's a Windows Update, there will be a KB associated with it; if it's from the manufacturer, you should check their site.

WAW8, Apr 27, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question