.dll files going bad and taking out Svchost

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by tevans95, Nov 22, 2010.

1. tevans95

tevans95

Twice I have been told by my computer that Svchost has crashed due to a bad .dll first it was dirapi.dll (adobe shockwave) now I got a faulty ntdll.dll. What is going on? The computer is only about 2-3 years old. Afterwards my computer becomes sluggish and I lose the themes. I then got an error while tring to restart the themes service saying "Error 230 the pipe state is invalid"

Is it possible for me to get windows to replace all of its critical .dll files in one sweep? It also appears the something is in my system creating faulty .dll files as well. Any virus I should know about that does this? Because my PCtools Spyware Doctor with Antivirus sure hasn't picked it up.

Thanks,

Tevans95

tevans95, Nov 22, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. tevans95

WAW8

Don't use PC Tools but strongly recommend downloading and running both Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware. They're both free and tend to find things other products miss.

Could also be a failing hard drive, although if it's a desktop, that is unlikely with a drive that young. Still, if you know the make and model of the drive, you should go to the manufacturer's website and see if they offer a downloadable utility you can run to check the health of the drive.

WAW8, Nov 22, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. tevans95

tevans95

I will try and see if about the drive's health I have had a great run with PCtools though so I will stay with them. It gives the the control that Norton never gave me.

Yes this computer is a desktop.

I replaced the NTdll.dll file with one that was in those achive folders on windows. But Vista failed to start. I am opening it from the disc

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
    tevans95, Nov 22, 2010
  4. tevans95

tevans95

Wonderful now drive C: doesn't appear on Vista and that is the drive it needs to operate. Now why doesn't drive C: appear?

tevans95, Nov 22, 2010
  5. tevans95

WAW8

Even though you believe in PC Tools, I still suspect something else at work.

If you can run from that disk, open a command prompt and enter the following:
    sfc /scannow

That should hunt for all missing and/or corrupt system files and replace them.

WAW8, Nov 23, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question