Display only works in safe mode / VGA mode

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by hqi1321, Jan 2, 2011.

1. hqi1321

hqi1321

I have a hp pavilion dv2915nr and I broke the screen. I then removed the screen and hooked it up to my spare monitor. After using it happily for a about half a week, I accidentally knocked out the video cable. When I plugged it in, I heard the sound that indicated it was recognized but the display still showed no signal. After restarting, windows would show the load screen and right before the log on screen appears, the display shows 'no signal' and turns off. However, the monitor works perfectly fine in safe mode or VGA mode.

I looked online and this sort of thing apparently has something to do with refresh rates but i've gone to 'monitor settings' and the only selection available is "use hardware default setting"

I've also tried re-installing the driver in safe mode but that also hasn't worked.

Please help!

also, i'm running 32 bit windows vista home premium, service pack 2

EDIT: Nevermind about VGA mode - that only works if the driver isn't installed.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
    hqi1321, Jan 2, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. hqi1321

WAW8

This thread seems very familiar -- like I've already replied to it elsewhere!!

Anyway ... you probably had Vista set up to use the external monitor -- which it is now going to do by default whenever you boot into it. The BIOS text will always show -- even if you have multiple monitors connected -- so that's no indication except that the monitor actually DOES work.

Hardware failures include the monitor, the cable, and connectors on each. IF you can check out the monitor with another PC, and another cable, and it still works, that leaves the connector on the laptop. If that was pulled pretty hard, it could have broken or cracked some wiring inside -- in which case, only repairing the wiring and replacing the connector will fix this.

And, if you have to do that, it could very well be cheaper to buy a replacement screen for the laptop. I've seen screens for around $100 -- which is what any PC shop is going to charge you to open the case and repair anything.

WAW8, Jan 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. hqi1321

hqi1321

Yeah, I've looked online and a lot of people seem to have this problem, but for different reasons. No worries though, it turns out the computer still thought I had my old screen installed so when I plugged in the monitor it saw it as screen #2, which was turned off for some reason. Does that make sense? Anyway, clicking Fn+F4 to cycle through the monitor settings fixed it right up. Thanks for your reply!

hqi1321, Jan 8, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question