Disk Usage of the various Vista editions

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by praveenpious, Feb 2, 2007.

1. praveenpious

praveenpious

Hi guys. I am new to this forum. There are many editions of vista like Ultimate,Home Premium,Home Basic etc etc. My question is, will the Ultimate install of vista take the same space as the Home Basic installation. Many features are missing from the Basic edition. So does both the installation take the same disk space?? Or does the Basic installation takes less space?? Please respond!! :)

praveenpious, Feb 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. praveenpious

praveenpious

39 views and still no reply!! Cool :)

praveenpious, Feb 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. praveenpious

Camride

Basic will take up less space, how much I'm not exactly sure. Basic will be missing alot of features that other versions have, so since those won't be installed it will take up less space. I don't imagine it will be significant, probably less than a gig, but I'm not sure. Remember that Basic is really not much of a step up from XP. It's more secure and has certain advantages that Vista comes with, but it doesn't have Aero or Media Center, which are pretty significant changes IMO.

:)

Camride, Feb 6, 2007
  4. praveenpious

snorbaard

No, the32-bit versions of Vista have the same installation footprint. As do the 64-bit versions.

The way Windows Vista installs is radically different from the way previous versions of Windows installed. When you've finished choosing the edition of Windows you have purchased, the installer copies a full image of Vista to your hard disk, and then extracts the features associated with your version. The other features are all still installed on your machine, but just not available.

This is done for two reasons:
    1. <LI>To speed up installation. As a workingimage is plonked onto your hard disk, the installer doesn't have to copy and regster the files one-by-one.</LI><LI>To allow anytime upgrades. Even though you have bought, say, Home Basic, you'll still have all the features for Ultimate available. You just need to give Microsoft your credit card number, and the features will be unlocked without having to go buy (or have shipped) a new DVD.</LI>

I think the letter versions (N and E?)versions of Vista do have a different install footprint, though, as they do *not* have the applications installed that the nations involved sued Microsoft about.

snorbaard, Feb 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question