DISK BOOT FAILURE

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Brendenguy, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Brendenguy

Brendenguy

Hello all,

I have Vista installed and working on my machine without any serious problems. However, I do have one rather large annoyance I was hoping I could get resolved. Almost every time I install a new program or driver, the next time I reboot my computer, I receive a message that says DISK BOOT FAILURE. I am able to resolve the issue easily by entering the Vista DVD in the drive and restarting the computer. As long as I have a bootable disk in the drive (seemingly any bootable CD or DVD), Windows Vista will load just fine after the "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" message passes.

This DISK BOOT FAILURE message is very annoying and still scares the crap out of my every time I see it (even though I have seen it many, many times now). Have any of you experienced this problem as well? If so, were you able to find a method for resolving it? Below are my system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+

ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 Motherboard

2GB Corsair DDR 400 RAM

eVGA Geforce 7950 GT KO video card with 512MB of DDR RAM

Linksys EG1032 Gigabit ethernet card

Sony DRU810A DVD+/-RW Recorder

I am not sure the models of my hard drives, but they are both fairly new Maxtor drives. I also have another DVD drive, but it is just a basic Sony CD/DVD drive. I installed the upgrade of Windows Vista Ultimate over a fresh Windows XP installation on a newly formatted drive. I did experience quite a bit of hanging during the initial installation process, but was eventually able to resolve it by unplugging one of my DVD drives. I am not convinced that it is being caused by one of these drives because I tested the installation and it did not matter which of the drives was unplugged as long as one of them was. And now that Vista is installed, both drives appear to be working without any problems whatsoever.

Anyway, I'm stumped... and I don't want to write a novel on this forum. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!

- Brendenguy

Brendenguy, Feb 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Brendenguy

RLJ1.51

I have had this also with my ASUS motherboard. Go into the BIOS and look for the HDD order. The first drive is the list is not your boot drive, but another drive. You can select your primary drive and move it to the top of the list, you will boot correctly.

On my ASUS A8N-SLI it is located in the BIOS under the BOOT menu and then HARD DISK DRIVES. Hightlight your main drive, then up arrow until it is in slot 1, and then exit the BIOS and reboot without the Vista DVD in the drive.

Good luck!

RLJ1.51, Feb 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Brendenguy

WAW8

It's booting when you have a DVD in the drive because you probably have that set early in your boot sequence. Without that DVD, the first drive found doesn't have a boot record.

You didn't say if either drive was PATA-IDE or if both were SATA-IDE. ASUS boards (at least, mine) insist on booting from the first PATA-IDE drive it finds. I had to go into BIOS setup and resequence my drives to put the SATA-IDE boot drive first in the list of all drives, AND ALSO to select it as the first boot HDD. After that, the ASUS board booted OK.

WAW8, Feb 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question