Disabling UAC For Specific Applications

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by BobTheDragon, Nov 7, 2007.

1. BobTheDragon

BobTheDragon

The post pretty much says it all.

I have a laptop with Windows Home Premium installed. My LAN at home has an OpenVPN VPN server on it. However, on my laptop, the client requires admin rights to run...which means that every time it's fired up, I get the elevation prompt.

The problem: None, when I run it, which is most of the time. However, my wife's account on this machine does NOT have admin rights (hey - it's my computer for business, you see?). When SHE runs it, she's (A) not able to elevate privs and (B) annoyed by the prompt in the first place.

Since I know exactly what this app is and I ALWAYS want it to run with admin privs, no matter who is running it, is there any way I can dispense with the prompt for this app without disabling UAC for all apps (i.e., can I enter a registry key somewhere...?)

Thanks!

BobTheDragon, Nov 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. BobTheDragon

chrisscorsese88

Whenever you want to run an application as an administrator with a limited account that doesn't have admin rights, there's no way to automatically run it as one without entering a password.

chrisscorsese88, Nov 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. BobTheDragon

kingofnexus

Just give her account admin rights, if your buisness doesn't like that idea just tell them that its a standard user account. If you can't trust your wife who can you trust?

kingofnexus, Nov 12, 2007
  4. BobTheDragon

Jason

One thing you can do is get the prompt to go away if she is in fact and admin and the prompt is just asking for elevation, if she is a limited user then you will forever have to enter credentials to run the program when it elevates. I have heard but never tired this, but apparently if you run the App as an admin (right click the shortcut and hit "run as admin", the first time you hit "allow" on the UAC prompt Vista will learn that this program is safe and shouldn't prompt you again. If you just run the program and hit allow (not running as admin), it will continue to come up every time you run that program. This has to do with how Vista virtualizes the registry and other aspects of the OS for security and legacy support. When you do not hit "run as admin" before running the program the registry is virtualized and thus not allowing Vista to mark that program as safe.

Now like I said I have never tried this before but I have heard it is the reason why you are asked to elevate every time you open a program. I can't try it now since I'm not on my Vista PC.

Jason, Nov 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question