DirectX 9 and 10

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by z414a4d, Apr 28, 2007.

1. z414a4d

z414a4d

This is ridiculous. I see many people on the net getting games to work (specifically Battlefield 2142, World of Warcraft, and Everquest II) and i cant seem to get it done!

I have tried so many different things. Everything from reinstalling drivers, to updating DX10/9 along with all my graphics drivers.

The problem Im having is that after about 5 min into any game it closes out and when i click view details on the error (which is different from everygame) the fault module is always somethign DirectX related.

In dxdiag it says im running 10, but then in display it says 9EX (i think...im at work now). Why oh Why can't I get these games to work properly? Stupid DirectX 10 and its non-backwards-comapatilbity. Honestly, Is there anything I can Do? I have tried running the .exe's as admin, I have checked the box to use compatabilty of XP w/service pack 2...Ugh...I just got this massive gaming machine and am unable to use it the way I would like. I am most likely going to be reinstalling XP tonight and saving my vista til' the first service pack comes out (anyone know when that is?).

What really ticks me off is that other people have gotten these games to work, flawlessly in vista. Why cant I do the same? My specs are noted in my signature, if anyone has any information or tips on how i can get this working, I would love to not have to go back to XP. Please help.

-Deperatly seeking help,

Andrew

z414a4d, Apr 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. z414a4d

Walker

Well could be two things

64 bit drivers are still in diapers....

8800's drivers are still a bit new....

Anyhow i don't see any other visible problem. Is it only gaming? or is any other program acting up like this. And as to DX10 backward compatibility, it is flawless. This seem to be a common problem on the odd pc here and there.

Walker, Apr 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. z414a4d

z414a4d

:(

Yes, gaming is the only issue...which is a bummer, because thats all i want to use it for. What could be wrong with the PC though? I have everything together right...everything else works just fine...:(

z414a4d, Apr 28, 2007
  4. z414a4d

VistaRocks

Have you tried to install DX9, i had to with a some game maker software i use, for some reason it didn't work right without me installing DX9. The first service pack wont be out till around October and i don't think it will help issues like this much. Your problem seems to be more related to Nividia drivers and 64 bit version.

VistaRocks, Apr 28, 2007
  5. z414a4d

z414a4d

yes. I have tried to install DX9. still no go :( -- I cant believe it though....its just....I cant...I just cant do it. I cant delete windows vista. I hate running dual partitions. I am going to look more and more for a fix to this problem. If anyone else has any suggestions for things to try, please let me know. Thanks.

z414a4d, Apr 28, 2007
  6. z414a4d

Walker

Sadly that is all i can do to help. I cannot run 64 bit ....

Walker, Apr 30, 2007
  7. z414a4d

cyclic

This would be without doubt a driver version, provided everything else is configured correctly, DX10 not back compat. eh! well it contains all the code structures and drivers, shaders etc; from DX 7\8 and 9c. However you may have noticed that a problem with DX9c is that almost every game released in the last 12 months or so contains a different version of one particular driver library, if a game has a 'redist' directory on the disk it will contain a version of a DX library file that you don't have unless you run that setup, it won't overwrite any existing files but will add a maybe much needed extra file that you could be missing, if during installation of the game it is offered to install DX 9 then agree to it some of the better installers will quit if you don't so you don't get the option.

Otherwise like the rest of us we'll just have to be patient until the drivers are got right, just on a point of interest I recently bought a new graphics card (DX10) and 2 games, Dark Messiah and Co of Heroes,which were already installed would not work they kept dropping out, sometimes with an error message but mostly not, I removed them, (defragged cos I'm thorough) and reinstalled they both now work fine.

cyclic, May 2, 2007
  8. z414a4d

drmom5

I did not install Dx9 but rather copied the 3 DX9 DLLs from my other computer to the windows/system directory. I am running EQ1. Everquest ran after I did this.

Dr. Mom

drmom5, May 13, 2007
  9. z414a4d

cyclic

These and most games do run under Vista but how the PC is configured can make a world of difference like............disable unwanted services regardless of how much memory you have they can still interfere............stop all background tasks that may conflict, AV scanners can seriously disrupt gaming, if your not online, turn it off.

Drivers make one hell of a difference and never mind 64 bit drivers being in 'nappies' even the 32 bit are still disclaimed by Nvidia as being still under development, the Vista graphics sub system or API (application packet interface) is completely different to any used before so drivers are having to be built from scratch, the main reason why you now see Nvidia drivers specifically for Gf 8 series which are not useable on Gf 7 or 6.

Personally I found moving to a DX10 card to be an advantage even though I had no issues with any games before that things have improved and look better than ever, even the general 2 D GUI and Aero styling is sharper and generally much better than ever. So I think really we're still biding our time until it all comes together.

cyclic, May 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question